Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoya 77mm PRO1 Digital Circular PL Filter - views?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoya 77mm PRO1 Digital Circular PL Filter - views?

Am looking at buying my first filter - would like a good one for my EOS 40d. with 17-55 F2.8 IS USM and F4 70-200L IS USM lenses. Any views or alternatives? Didnt really want to spend beyond £100 - Amazon are selling for £62

Many thanks
    Canon EOS 40d, 17-55mm F2.8 IS ISM, 70-200 F4 IS USM, 28-135mm F3.5/5/6 IS USM

Re: Hoya 77mm PRO1 Digital Circular PL Filter - views?

Yep, got one, does the job, good value for money. It's also quite simple to put back together after you've dropped it!
    Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Hi npa2310 and welcome to the forum.

The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS does use a 77mm filter but the EF 70-200mm f/4L IS uses a 67mm filter.
      The Hoya filters are excellent and I can highly recommend them over other brands.
      The Amazon price is very good as the Hoya 77mm Pro1 CPL Filter generally sells for between £62-154 depending on supplier.

Comment

Thanks guys - and for the warm welcome!

Would you recommend any alternatives to the Hoya?

I am also confused with Hoya branding - some say Hoya Digital, being for Digital cameras - does this exclude DSLR then or am I being silly?!

Finally, how do you store the filters when not in use? Is there a wallet of some kind?

Many thanks

Comment

Filters arrive in a sturdy plastic case, I keep mine in them for all time.

Hoya is probably best value for money (IMO). You can get more expensive varieties. They do several ranges, I use the 'blue' box ones. Digital = DSLR, so they're the right ones. Circular polarisers are what you need for digital, so I presume branding it as such is just for clarity.
          Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by npa2310 View Post
            Thanks guys - and for the warm welcome!

Would you recommend any alternatives to the Hoya?

I am also confused with Hoya branding - some say Hoya Digital, being for Digital cameras - does this exclude DSLR then or am I being silly?!

Finally, how do you store the filters when not in use? Is there a wallet of some kind?

Many thanks
            They come in their own hard plastic container for storage when not in use.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

You could purchase the 77mm filter and a 67-77 step up ring for a couple of pounds and use it on both your lens'
                Col

Comment

Thats interesting - tell me more re step up rings! What are the advantages/disadvantages? Can you give me a link to these online?

Many thanks

Originally posted by katokid View Post
                  You could purchase the 77mm filter and a 67-77 step up ring for a couple of pounds and use it on both your lens'

Comment

Amazon, Advantage 1 filter only required less chance of vignetting on 67mm lens, disadvantage difficult to use lens hood on 67mm lens.
                    Col

Comment

Thanks - I'll have a good look around on Amazon. Thx again

Comment

(Sorry to be a bit late.) Hoya have an endless range of products (plus are all mixed up with Kenko, so in some countries they will not be branded Hoya). Luckily the really cheapo ones seem (I think) not to be around much in the UK.
                        Here is where I go to remind myself which one is which:

"Hoya makes 7 or 8 lines of filters - Green Label, Blue Label, Purple Label, HMC, SuperHMC (a.k.a. SMC), SuperHMC Pro1, HD Filter, Pro1 Digital (DMC).
                        Green Label, Blue Label, & Purple Labels = 1-coat cheap Junk (you might as well buy SunPak if you're gonna buy this)
                        HMC = 6 layers of multi-coating (3 per side), 97% light transmission
                        Pro1 Digital (DMC) = 6 layers of multi-coating (3 per side), 97% light transmission, some other stuff supposedly designed to improve digital performance in terms of internal reflections and such... but no evidence this is true... basically its the old HMC with a shiny new box. (this is the only filter that Kenko makes as well)
                        SuperHMC (SMC) & SuperHMC Pro1 = 12 layers of multi-coating (6 per side), 99.7% light transmission (the highest on the market to this day)... difference between SuperHMC and SuperHMC Pro1 is that the SuperHMC use standard thickness rings (5mm for filters, 8mm for CPL), and the Pro1 use thin mount rings (3mm for filters, 5mm for CPL)
                        HD Filter = 8 layers of mult-coating (4 per side), 99.35% light transmission, the latest offering from Hoya and most expensive thanks to new hardened glass composition, if you want a filter for protection this is it, if you want best IQ get the SuperHMC Pro1"

77mm is a good size as Canon use that a lot for their better zoom lenses, plus a step-up ring (as already mentioned) is a great idea to cover more options. Canon use 72mm for several up-market primes, so when I bought my first one at that size I got a 72-77mm ring for a few quid so I could use my 77mm Circular Polariser on it. I have the Super HMC Pro-1 Circ Pol filter, but that was from 2006 and before the digital ones, I'm very happy with it. I'm pretty sure you'll be delighted with the Pro-1 Digital version (although if you can get a Super-HMC Pro-1 for a similar price I'd recommend that even more).

John
                        Last edited by DrJon; 06-02-2012, 18:23.

Comment

Just checked my filter and realised that while they're in blue boxes, they say 'Pro-1' on the filter themselves. So I think I must have them in old boxes.

Comment

What a response! Really much appreciated! I will try and consume over the next few days and let you know what I decide. Thx again!

Comment

Anyone recommend (and post a link) a good step up ring 67-77mm, as I am thinking of going for the Hoya 77mm PRO1 Digital Circular PL Filter? I cant find a Super HMC Pro Digital, but if anyone spots one, a link would be great!

Many thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X