Full frame vs EF-S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full frame vs EF-S

I note that some members are jettisoning EF-S cameras like the 60d to move on to full frame. Could you please tell me in plain English what is the big advantage of this switch.

Thanks
    Nathaniel
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Full frame vs EF-S

From my point of view the full frame camera when used for portraits, landscape and the Non-sport type work you benefit from higher IQ, better handling of noise so you can use higher ISO, normally better contrast and colour in the image. I am sure others will provide more details

Comment

Re: Full frame vs EF-S

Nat - full frame is the absolute equivalent of the old 35mm film days, so a big sensor and clearly the pixels on an 18MP APS-C are going to be smaller and closer together than on an 18MP FF equivalent, so lower noise and better IQ etc on the FF. The downside of course is that a 400mm lens on a FF gives you 400mm, so approx 8x magnification whereas on an APS-C that lens gives you 640mm equivalent, 13 times magnification. The half way house of course is the APS-H sensor in the 1D Mk3, Mk4 etc which gives you the 1.3 crop factor - hence with the great IQ, 10fps drive and that little bit of extra reach it's the chosen Canon body for a large number of nature photographers. Personally I have the 1D for my wildlife stuff and the trusty old 5D for landscapes, so I can get true wide angle in great detail.

The other downside with FF bodies is that they need good glass in front of them because they show every flaw - so it's horses for courses really and the choice depends on what kind of images you want to take

Comment

Working...
      X