Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Anybod Help Please? Gosport, Hants Area

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone could help me out here. I'll do my best to keep this post short, but want to give as much info as possible, so please bare with me.

I basically have a problem with my EOS 30D that i am trying to diagnose. It's coming up with the infamous 'error 99' and having trawled the internet for info, i feel i've now tried all the usual 'fixes' and am down to either a faulty lens or body.

I suspect the lens but need to try another one to prove/disprove this, but unfortunately i don't have a second lens.

Is there anybody local who would be prepared to meet up with me, so that i can attach their lens to my camera and take a few shots, or conversely, try my lens on somenoe elses camera?

As for the 'fixes' ive tried so far:

Lens & camera terminals rubbed & cleaned
    Date battery replaced
    Main battery replaced
    3 different memory cards tried
    Batteries, card and lens removed, camera switched to 'on' for 30 minutes to reset camera memory etc.

The syptoms i have is that when i go to focus the lens stutters in and out and won't hold focus, go to take a shot, 'click' but error 99 showing.
    With the lens off it will fire ok and save what it thinks is an image but with no errors.
    It is the same in AF or MF and also with the image stabilizer on or off. It also does it in most modes, although i've not tried them all, but have tried auto, Av, Tv etc.

So i can only assume that either the lens, or communication between lens and camera are faulty.

Obviously, up to now i've swapped and changed all the cheap bits....but it's going to be an expensive hobby if i gamble on buying a new lens or body before at least trying one or the other out first.

Please let me know if you can help,
    Thanks,
    Dave

Re: Can Anybod Help Please? Gosport, Hants Area

I'd like to help but I'm too far away.

What about going into a camera shop with your lens and trying it on an EOS body.
    Or going in with your body and trying a lens.

Trev

Comment

Hi Trev,

I did think of taking the body into a shop and trying one of their lenses, but i'm not sure where the nearest camera shop is.
      Couldn't find one in Gosport having gone through Thompson local and Yellow Pages, so i thought i'd see if there was somebody local with any type of EF lens that i could try.

Dave

Comment

Dave, just trying to suggest a plan B

To be honest, I'd rather find someone local in your position.

Good luck,
        Trev

Comment

I know the Hampshire area fairly well, having worked there for years. Also Gosport. Your best bet is to go into Portsmouth or Southampton. Both have large camera shops- Jessops for instance.

Nathaniel
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 21-04-2012, 17:49.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

The standard issue lens with the 30D was the 17 - 85 IS USM and the fault you describe is similar to what I had with mine. It appears to a known problem with these lenses after 4 - 5 years - there is a diaphragm assembly which gives out - the symptoms with mine started out that the lens would not focus at shorter than around 24mm, but eventually just gave the error 99 message every time.

I opted to have my lens repaired at a cost of £115.00 - not cheap, but I was assured that Canon had issued a modified part and the problem should not reoccur in the future. They also replaced zoom guides to stop lens creep - cleaned and adjusted, I reckon it performs better than it ever did.

Peter

ps - nowhere near Gosport, but my father was a civilian instructor at HMS Sultan for a number of years in the 90’s, so we were regular visitors then!
            Last edited by Petros; 21-04-2012, 15:52.

Comment

Hi Peter,

You've got it...spot on in fact, the suspect lens is an EF-S 17-85mm IS USM approx. 4-5 years old (bought the kit in 2007)

Worked fine all this time, problem started out now and again about a month ago but now the problem is there all the time.
              Think i might just gamble and buy another lens now.

Where did you get the lens repaired just out of interest?

Thanks,
              Dave

Comment

Hi Dave, I used AJ Johnstone in Glasgow because they were local to me. I bought mine in 2007 as well, so the time scales are identical.

Comment

Hi Peter,

Yes it does seem that way with regard to timescale.

Dave

Comment

Dave, another thing to bear in mind, those lenses a widely available for £299 brand new from reputable outlets, much less used.

If they quote you a silly price, you might be better with a different lens, unless you like that one.

Trev

Comment

HI Trev,

I'd rather avoid another lens of the same type incase i'm in the same position in 4-5 years time.
                      The lens is ok but didn't set the world alight for me. To be honest i just really want a basic walkabout lens for now.

May just opt for a 28-105mm or 28-135mm IS for now...would really like a 24-105 L but the price still puts me off.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by snakeman4968 View Post
                        May just opt for a 28-105mm or 28-135mm IS for now...would really like a 24-105 L but the price still puts me off.
                        It is a little steep, but for good reason and you will appreciate it once you use one. It may be worth considering a second hand one. At a guess I would suggest that the following are the most used lenses in member's camera bags:

17 - 40mm f4 L

24 - 105mm f4 L IS

70 - 200mm f4 L IS

Colin
                        Colin

Comment

Colin,

100% agree but I would also suggest that the 70-300 f4-5.5 L is getting popular as well

Comment

From Colin's list of lenses given above I'd choose the 24-105 f4L for starters. You will be smitten with it, as I am. Also remember that the L series lenses hold their value very well and also be use on a full frame body if you decide to take that route!

Nathaniel.
                            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                              It is a little steep, but for good reason and you will appreciate it once you use one. It may be worth considering a second hand one. At a guess I would suggest that the following are the most used lenses in member's camera bags:

17 - 40mm f4 L

24 - 105mm f4 L IS

70 - 200mm f4 L IS

Colin
                              Hi Colin,

I fully agree but i just need to keep it simple/cheap(ish) for now due to prices and cashflow etc.
                              Up until fairly recently i had the EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS - which is without doubt the best lens i've ever owned, but sadly had to sell it due to money issues (could have done with it now, just to confirm it's my lens and not the camera that's faulty).

Not sure whether or not they are any good, but i'm currently looking at the EF-S 18-135mm IS as a general purpose lens for now...no doubt nothing spectacular, but for around £240.00 (ish) i'm very tempted. Would love an EF 24-105 L IS but just can't justify the £600 or so at the moment.

Also, i've seen some faulty EF-S 17-85mm IS lenses selling for £50+....i'd be more than happy with £50.00 for my current lens 'as is' so it's maybe not all bad news....better than binning it!!

Anyone got any advice, positives/negatives on the EF-S 18-135mm whilst we're here?

Thanks again for all the input,
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X