Cleaning your camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning your camera?

Just a general question really in case I am missing a better way of keeping my camera clean. I'm talking about normal cleaning as oppose to sensor cleaning etc. I tend to get the odd bit of dirt and muck on my camera, usually off the dog in some way or another, or off my hands from throwing his ball etc. I usually just give it a wipe over with a slightly dampened cloth and dry it. Is that how the rest of you do it, or is there a better way, different way, special cleaner, any tips?
    Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Re: Cleaning your camera?

My rambling camera gets mud and stuff on it ... so that is removed with a damp rag first. Then the final cleaning using Isopropyl alcohol and clean lint free cloths. Just be gentle. Q-Tips are useful.

Disclaimer !! Always check IPA on the base first !!
    Last edited by MX5; 17-11-2012, 18:52. Reason: Added Disclaimer

Comment

Damp cloth...
      IPA when really necessary...

Fred D

Comment

Not a very adventurous chap. I don't handle any of my camera equipment with " soiled" hands. When I play with my dogs or children's dogs, I do just that; when I play with my grand children it is just play and nothing else.So no problem for me.
        Last edited by Nathaniel; 18-11-2012, 13:04.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Cleaning your camera?

Damp hand wipes/ tissues from Tesco etc work really well - BUT don't get them on the optics. For optics use a lens pen.
          James
          James Boardman Woodend
          www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by fadetoblack View Post
            Damp cloth...
            IPA when really necessary...
            Do you dampen the cloth in Indian Pale Ale?

Richard
            Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
              Do you dampen the cloth in Indian Pale Ale?

Richard

Comment

Is a Lens pen preferable to using a microfibre cloth?
                Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

I hardly ever need to clean my lenses - it's odd, when I used UV filters as a matter of course, I needed to clean them all the time, but the coatings seem to repel lots of muck. Years since I've used more than a rocket blower and a microfibre cloth on a lens. On the camera body, I tend to use computer wipes from the pound shop.
                  Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

I always carry a Spuds microfibre cloth, just in case.
                    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Incidentally, when shooting landscapes or travelling, I always carry a small bit of towel around to dry the body and lens off if they get wet - to be honest, it's a flannel I "liberated" from some hotel somewhere.
                      Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Archers often carry a small towel for wiping off arrows etc. About 600mm x 200mm and that could be a solution for wiping down equipment. Same width as a flannel, but 3 times as long.
                        Colin

Comment

Has anyone tried using Solution 30 Lens cleaner as used by opticians
                          Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

When I was out photographing big waves in a storm, both the camera and myself got covered in salt water spray.
                            My skin won't be affected by salt water, but it is very corrosive to cameras and lenses. So I went right away to a cafe ordered a cup of tea and a bowl of water. Using plenty of tissues, I washed the camera down and dried it. The lens had a filter on, so that was washed with cold water as well.
                            On another trip in the Outer Hebrides, no cages were about, so a hand basin in the ladies loo was used to rinse the salt water away. Again, toilet tissue dried the camera and lens.
                            For normal cleaning to get the white sweat marks off of the grips, warm soapy water does the trick.
                            Scuff

Canon EOS 1Dx
                            16-35, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8Lis, 70-300 f4-5.6Lis, 300 f2.8Lis, 17 TS-E, 24 TS-E II, 90 TS-E
                            Speedlight 600ex-RT (2x), ST-E3 RT.

My flickr page

Comment

Cleaning your camera?

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                              Archers often carry a small towel for wiping off arrows etc. About 600mm x 200mm and that could be a solution for wiping down equipment. Same width as a flannel, but 3 times as long.
                              I have a couple of camping microfibre towels which are around that size, they fold up compactly and are great for protecting the camera and lens from rain and/or spray between shots
                              Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Working...
                              X