A lesson to be learnt........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A lesson to be learnt........

Sorry to hear of your problem, but you have just reminded me I was due a back up on my triple back up system

John

Comment

Thanks, Chris.
      Yes, I will definitely hang onto it for the future...
      Originally posted by deefadog View Post
      Hi OBG

I had the same thing happen to me just a few months ago I,ve tried every avenue possible but I,m being told it needs to go to a company with a "clean room" where the drive can be stripped out and the disk installed into another case and then retrieve the lost files. For this they will charge me £300-£400 plus V A T. I,m going to file the hdd away till the prices drop then try again. Hope this is of some use.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by oldbaldgit View Post
        Thanks, Chris.
        Yes, I will definitely hang onto it for the future...
        Cant see the prices for data recovery dropping as they have a captive market also if as you say it has the click of death then it may not be possible for them to recover the data also £300-400 seems very reasonable as I have known some charging as much as £600 -700.
        Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

I was quoted about £600 but who knows, they may drop in time......hopefully.
          Originally posted by 2Beers View Post
          Cant see the prices for data recovery dropping as they have a captive market also if as you say it has the click of death then it may not be possible for them to recover the data also £300-400 seems very reasonable as I have known some charging as much as £600 -700.

Comment

I got into the habit of storing next to nothing on the PC itself - use it just for work and it stay's rubbish free and pretty quick, I back up all photo's etc to a 3tb external and then back that up to another 'just in case' (NEVER leave them plugged in / connected all the time) and the photo's I really would miss I put on Smugmug who do several backups as well - I'm paying for unlimited storage therefore I may as well make the most of it!

Hope you manage to get some if not all of your work back, it really is a heart wrenching feeling when it happens.

.DAVID.
            Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Thanks David
              Originally posted by David Stallard View Post
              I got into the habit of storing next to nothing on the PC itself - use it just for work and it stay's rubbish free and pretty quick, I back up all photo's etc to a 3tb external and then back that up to another 'just in case' (NEVER leave them plugged in / connected all the time) and the photo's I really would miss I put on Smugmug who do several backups as well - I'm paying for unlimited storage therefore I may as well make the most of it!

Hope you manage to get some if not all of your work back, it really is a heart wrenching feeling when it happens.

.DAVID.

Comment

Hi, there are plenty of free data recovery programs on the net, EaseUS Data recovery wizard is one,or there are pc shops that will do it fot £50 - 100. but you will probably need to format the hard drive before you can recover anything, having said that if the drive is in RAW format you might not get anything back.

Steve.

Comment

Steve, I'm no computer expert but doesn't formatting wipe it clean?

Comment

No not really ... data can still easily be recovered from a formatted or fdisk'd drive. When we decomission drives at work (and me at home) I use DBAN (http://www.dban.org/) followed by a lump hammer. The DBAN process took 3 days last time I did a laptop !!

Comment

There is your answer, save me explaining.

Comment

You learn something everyday.

And nowadays forget twice as much.......

Comment

You have my sympathy. Had a computer harddrive die on me. Luckily my brother managed to get quite a bit back. I have a portable hard drive now, and back up onto another computer. Also load some to flickr (full size)
                          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                          Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
                            You have my sympathy. Had a computer harddrive die on me. Luckily my brother managed to get quite a bit back. I have a portable hard drive now, and back up onto another computer. Also load some to flickr (full size)

Comment

I was always taught there are two types of computer users. Those who back everything up, and those who will one day wish they had. I'm the former, but even then I have nothing offsite.
                              Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

It's painful for sure. I had a similar experience several years back. I now have copies in 3 locations and I'm much more ruthless about what gets kept and why. I even have a Hitachi hi-fi unit with a small 40BG hard drive that has my 'best' shots on it.

When you think of the many hours of hard work we put in it's worth the insurance.
                                The Image Plane
                                Snapshots of Anything

Comment

Working...
                                X