Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7D Operation Tempretures-Cold-Sub-Zero

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
    The new manual has 192 pages compared to 271 on the old original manual.
    I think you mean the new manual has 291 pages rather than 192.....

But to get back on topic, I am somewhat taken aback that this "semi-pro" camera has such a limited temperature range. Are the 1Dx series as limited?
    Last edited by ChristopherM; 29-12-2012, 17:14.
    A1, Vivitar Series 1 24-48mm & 70-210mm (Exif data....what Exif data?)

Comment

7D Operation Tempretures-Cold-Sub-Zero

My advice is to stop looking at the manuals and start trying to get advice from people who actually have used these cameras in cold conditions. Lets face it - I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in the manual it warns you against the camera body being not suitable for internal consumption !!
      To get back to the point - from personal experience of either using pro camera bodies (or being with friends who have semi- pro and consumer models) I have never come across anybody having a problem apart from :
      Temporary Battery failure - so always carry a spare

Lens frosting up - so pop into your pocket with a chemical hand warming packet as used by skiers when this happens

Condensation problems in carrying the camera from the cold back into a warm, humid environment - take the battery out first and if you are really worried seal camera in plastic bag outside and then let it warm up slowly before unwrapping it (but I would say this latter bit is going over the top)

If you look through wildlife photographer of the year books you will find heaps of pictures taken with a range of Canon bodies both in the Arctic and Antarctic at temperatures that hopefully you are not likely to experience.
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
        Lets face it - I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in the manual it warns you against the camera body being not suitable for internal consumption !!
        Close, but it's the battery which should not be consumed by children! (page 277 of the V2 manual).

And I hadn't given any thought about temperature range until this thread came up...even my 450D has been used below zero and above 40 without any loss of functionality. I was merely expressing surprise.
        Last edited by ChristopherM; 29-12-2012, 18:07.
        A1, Vivitar Series 1 24-48mm & 70-210mm (Exif data....what Exif data?)

Comment

Originally posted by ChristopherM View Post
          I think you mean the new manual has 291 pages
          I blame my fat fingers for the typo. lol
          There are actually 292 pages.
          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I live in a part of Sweden where in winter the temperature can fluctuate between +10 and -30 in a matter of a few days. I have used all my cameras / kit in sub zero temperatures. If I go walkabout I have the camera on my across shoulder strap under my coat. Nothing fancy. Walking around the lakes the camera can be out for at least 45mins whilst snapping away. I have never had any problems with either the 60D or 5D or lenses. When I come home I leave them in the lobby to acclimatise and then bring them into main part of house. Sort of a gradual 'warming up'.
            “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
            http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

When I come home I leave them in the lobby to acclimatise and then bring them into main part of house. Sort of a gradual 'warming up'.
              Same here Mazzie I have a gradual warming up process too. -4 is the coldest I've been out in.
              When I get in my car I put the camera case open the passenger seat with the window down a little, On arriving home, I leave it in the downstairs loo for an hour. :-) Works a treat !

Trev

Comment

I can report no problems whatsoever with my 5Diii during my recent visit to a very cold Vail. I couldn't give you the precise temperatures but it was certainly brass monkey weather!

Richard
                Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Working...
                X