X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Exiff data

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
    Example:
    I take an image of a bird in flight, the result is soft and blurred.
    I look at someone else's sharp "bird in flight" image.
    That sharp image has exif details typed below the image.
    It says Canon 7D camera, EF 100-400mm L lens, 1/1600, f/5.6, ISO 400, using A1servo and IS mode2
    I look at my image exif; it says Canon 600D, 70-300mm lens, 1/400, f/22, ISO 100, using one shot and IS mode1.

Do I ask the question and get 10 replies, some conflicting?
    Or ....... do I go out and buy a 7D and 100-400mm L lens?

The answer (to me) is self explanatory.
    But you don't know if it's a European or an African swallow... ;)

Thing is there are far too many variables, including distance and direction of flight of the bird, quite apart from their velocity, to make the EXIF data help you at all. And if it's the 70-300 L, it's a much better lens than the 100-400 anyway. :)
    Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
      Example:
      I take an image of a bird in flight, the result is soft and blurred.
      Mate, that's 'cos you're not very good at this photo m'larky! lol
      flickr
      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Exiff data

I for one as a newbie to photography like to see the exif details, as Colin has said it puts me in the ball park, to then experiment to try and get similar results and understand how and why.

Shane.

Comment

I for one have always appreciated the EXIF being included. I also regularly check EXIF at home for my own shots to try and understand why something worked, and more importantly, why it didn't.

Mind you, I seem to forget all that the next time I'm out, and just blast away, then throw most shots away! lol

I don't really 'do' new year resolutions, but in 2013, I'm really going to try and think about the shots etc. a bit more.

All the best, Mike
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
            and more importantly, why it didn't.
            Mate, that's 'cos you're not very good at this photo m'larky either!
            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I like to look at the exif info if it is available as it gives a guide, and I think this is the correct operative word, as to what settings were used to achieve the shot I am interested in. However, if the exif is not showing I simply look to see if the image is posted on Flickr and go to the members Flickr site where I can usually see the exif and more importantly see other shots the member has taken.

Now if I want to be really radical then I use the new fangled form of communication available on the forum called Private Message and actually contact the member and ask them the question about what settings, whereabouts, conditions, etc etc and often make a new friend with a common interest/hobby in the process.
              David

Comment

I like seeing the exif data too. Cos I'm nosy
                Elaine

1Ds mk III;
                24 - 105 f4 L is; 300 f4 L is
                580 EX; 580 EX II; ST-E2

My Flickr

My Blog

Comment

Thus apart from giving helpful information to newbies like myself, the EXIF details are very essential as proof of the authenticity of the photograph; otherwise judges in international competitions will not request this.
                  The Veolia Environment Wildlife photographer of the year isn't perhaps the best competition to quote Nathaniel. There has been some controversy with the results in recent years.

Two years ago the winning shot was a badly composed shot of a Snow Leopard. Rare and difficult to photograph I'll grant you, but the photographer didn't even press the shutter. He had 22 remote cameras set up along a trail and went back the view the results every morning. Clever I'll grant you, but there were other entries that were far more transparent and worthy.

Last year the shot of a wild wolf jumping a wall turned out to be a tame wolf, rented for the shoot. I couldn't believe the naivety of the judges when I first saw the shot. Any wildlife TOG worth his salt would know that those at the top of the foodchain do not take unnecessary risks and blind jumping a stone wall would count as that. He would either have wriggled through the gap in the gate, or, jumped onto the wall so he could see what he would be jumping to before he landed. You don't last long as a wolf with broken legs. It was also taken with a Hassleblad and a couple of portable studio flash units .............. not exactly typical wildlife TOG fare. With the wind in the right direction, a wild wolf wouldn't come within a mile of a human. The photographer was stripped of his title, but all the copies of the book were already printed and distributed and there is no evidence that he returned the prize money. Apparently he was turned in by fellow Spanish photographers, who had used the wolf and recognised it. You are not prohibited from using captive animals, but you are required to declare it.
                  Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Mish21 View Post
                    I like seeing the exif data too. Cos I'm nosy
                    ROFLMAO......

Elaine the secret squirrel
                    David

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                      However, for those members who are serious about entering international competitions
                      I trust that this information is helpful to members.
                      But Nathaniel, we are not talking about international competitions, there are no valuable prizes for images posted on this forum, no great leap in status or kudos in the photographic community. I post here because I have an image I wish to share or on which I am looking for comment. I have nothing to gain by posting anyone else's images but my own - so this talk of authenticity is surely irrelevant?
                      Chris

My Website

Comment

[QUOTE=colin C;121826]The [COLOR=#333333] Veolia Environment Wildlife photographer of the year isn't perhaps the best competition to quote Nathaniel. There has been some controversy with the results in recent years.

Colin, I am shooting myself in the foot by stating this. I too was perhaps a bit surprised at some of the quality of the pics in the book and thought I could do better!!!!- so much so I thought of entering by sending in my £20 fee!! The reason I mentioned this publication was the "exif" bit which was an essential requirement of the photos that are submitted for the first round of selection. I may be wrong here but in my very amateur opinion I thought it would be good for all newbies and others to look at the exif for the photos they liked- including myself.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I am sorry Chris, but I must disagree with you. The exif info is an extra tip for folk like me. I often look up the details when I look at the pics posted by experienced members like Colin, Stan, Trev ,Les M and others. For example I am now interested in "birds in flight" shots and I compare the settings used by Colin,Stan,Les with some of mine, and pick up tips which I use the next time round. Of course I cannot remember all the tips which I note but I do have a note book, where I jot down details and take with me. The exif is certainly not only about the authenticity of the photograph. I also agree that no one wins prizes for photos posted on the forum but I like to improve my photography and to some extent I have been successful in seeing my photos published in the local papers, church magazines and so on with the money generated being given to charitable causes.
                          Last edited by Nathaniel; 31-12-2012, 13:55.
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I agree with Nathaniel 100% - I still like to take note of the settings used and the conditions etc as it's always good to see and compare the results with my own shots. When I first started out in MotorSport it was a godsend as it gave me a great starting point from where I could adapt, saved me hundreds of duff photo's and hours of frustration.

.DAVID.
                            Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

EXIF: you often see a photo posted with a request for comments. The first response is usually"what settings did you use?".

Veolia: well worth a look at the books or, even better, the exhibition. Dodgy winners aside, there are some wonderful photos in a range of categories and many are taken with "modest" amateur cameras and lenses, in amongst the more pro orientated gear. Most reassuring.

Comment

Veolia: well worth a look at the books or, even better, the exhibition.
                                I wholeheartedly agree.

I get one every year as a Christmas present and there are m,any inspiring photo's that I would love to have taken, even though I argue at some of the judges choices.
                                Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X