Canon Sells More DSLRs Than Anyone Else in 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon Sells More DSLRs Than Anyone Else in 2012

So Canon sells 28.6% of all DLSR sold in the world. They must be doing something right.

Tom

Re: Canon Sells More DSLRs Than Anyone Else in 2012

Looks like Canon DSLR camera market share has slipped a little and Olympus have leap-frogged Sony.

1.Canon 28.6%
    2.Nikon 25%
    3.Olympus 14.3%
    4.Sony 13.3%
    5.Panasonic 11.3%

I believe in 2011 the share was:-
    1. Canon 27.0%
    2. Nikon 22.5%
    3. Sony 11.9%
    4. Olympus 10.9%
    5. Panasonic 8.0%
    6. Pentax 3.0%
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Didn't Sony buy Pentex last year?

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
        Didn't Sony buy Pentex last year?
        Hoya acquired Pentax in 2007 and sold the Pentax interchangable lens and camera company to Ricoh in 2011.
        Hoya retained the Pentax medical devices and other bits.

flickr

Comment

Thanks Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
            Thanks Stephen
            Your welcome Tom.

I have always liked the Pentax camera gear, having owned the Pentax *ist, K10 and K20 cameras and a few lenses.
            I just did not get on with the K20 and after only a month or two switched to Canon, that was back in 2008.
            I kindof feel sorry for Pentax as they do not get the market share or credit they deserve.

The name Pentax came from "Pentaprism" and "Contax" an East German company who's patents were annulled after WW2.
            Asahi Optical took the name "Pentax" in 1957 and traded under the name Asahi Pentax, also known as Honeywell Pentax in USA.
            In 2002 the company renamed itself to Pentax Corporation and was one of the worlds largest optical companies.
            Which is why I originally chose Pentax as my first digital SLR.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
              The name Pentax came from "Pentaprism" and "Contax" an East German company who's patents were annulled after WW2.
              Well that's not entirely true (the risks of trusting to Wikipedia) - I believe VEB Zeiss Ikon actually sold this brandname to Asahi before the patent wars of the 50s that saw East German Contaxes rebranded as Pentqcons (again from PENTAPRISM CONtax). There is an irony in the fact that the West German Zeiss company later approached Pentax to make Contaxes, but pulled out when it appeared that Pentax weren't actually all that good at electronics, going to Yashica instead. Pentax were left with the consolation prizes of the jointly-developed K bayonet, and the right to Zeiss's outstanding T* coatings, under the name SMC.
              Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Originally posted by nickorando View Post
                I believe VEB Zeiss Ikon actually sold this brandname to Asahi before the patent wars.
                I believe VEB Zeiss Ikon was a German company who after Germany lost the war lost their patents.
                Whether accurate or not, Asahi acquired Pentax, the rest is history.

flickr

Comment

Asahi Pentax was the name you had to have on your camera in the 1960's and early 1970's before Nikon took over. Now it is Canon and long may it continue.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I believe VEB Zeiss Ikon was a German company who after Germany lost the war lost their patents.
                    No, that's the bit Wikipedia has wrong, or at least summarises far too simply. When I used to be on the Rollei and Leica User Groups, I used to confer with Marc James Small and occasionally Charlie Barringer, two of the most respected historians of Zeiss who have literally written the book on Zeiss, and they are certainly more to be trusted than Wikipedia - they are where I got my info from.

Whether accurate or not, Asahi acquired Pentax, the rest is history.
                    Indeed so. :)

Comment

Looks like Canon DSLR camera market share has slipped a little and Olympus have leap-frogged Sony.

1.Canon 28.6%
                      2.Nikon 25%
                      3.Olympus 14.3%
                      4.Sony 13.3%
                      5.Panasonic 11.3%

I believe in 2011 the share was:-
                      1. Canon 27.0%
                      2. Nikon 22.5%
                      3. Sony 11.9%
                      4. Olympus 10.9%
                      5. Panasonic 8.0%
                      6. Pentax 3.0%
                      I think the really interesting thing about these figures is that they're for interchangeable lens cameras, not just DSLRs. Some so-called commentators keep saying the DSLR is dead and mirrorless is the future - that may be true for some companies, such as Olympus, but it's clearly not true across the board, and it looks like Sony's move to electronic viewfinders only has hurt them.

Comment

Working...
                      X