Infra red converion for 30D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infra red converion for 30D

Can anyone recommend someone who could convert my 30D body for infra-red photography?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Re: Infra red converion for 30D

Sorry, I do not, but welcome to the Forum Andy.

Tom

Comment

I had my 30D converted several years ago with an 830nm filter - I used Protech. An alternative is ACS.

I also have a 450D that I bought pre-converted with a 720nm filter - I much prefer this now.
      Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Is this of interest? http://www.extremetech.com/electroni...m-super-camera
        Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
        http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
        https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Thanks everybody - this forum certainly works! - could I ask nickorando where he had his 30D converted?

The extremetech article is interesting - these subjects are always deeper than you first thought.

Thanks again

Comment

At Protech - check out the link provided in the previous post (click on the word Protech). Nice people to deal with, kept me informed all through.

Comment

Originally posted by nickorando View Post
              At Protech - check out the link provided in the previous post (click on the word Protech). Nice people to deal with, kept me informed all through.
              Thanks - I didn't realise that was a link - I'll contact them

Regards

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by eurodriver View Post
                Thanks - I didn't realise that was a link - I'll contact them

Regards

Andy
                No worries - it suddenly occurred to me that you might not have realised that - why should you know as a newbie here? Welcome aboard!

Comment

Welcome Andy

I used Advanced Camera Services (http://www.advancedcameraservices.co.uk) to convert my 20D last year. They did the job in a few days and telephoned to let me know when it was ready - only then did I pay them the £250 + VAT. The conversion also includes an adjustment to the autofocus as infra red focuses at a different point to visible light. Very pleased with a very professional result and would recommend them highly.

ACS offer 720nm, 830nm and clear filters. I opted for the 720 as I could then add an 830 filter if I wanted a deeper IR effect, but there is not much colour at these wavelengths, so they are best suited to B&W IR.

I haven't used Protech, but they offer a wider range of options including 590nm and 665nm if you want more colour (visible light) in your images. Their website gives good examples of the effects from the different filters.

Alistair
                  Last edited by Northman; 04-01-2013, 12:26.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum eurodriver.

May I ask, is the infra red conversion for landscape photography, or astronomy?
                    Colin

Comment

Colin,

This would be for landscape photography. I haven't explored astro-photography except for an amateurish attempt to capture Hale Bopp some years ago.

Comment

Thanks Alistair - I'll try their website as well

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Northman View Post
                          Welcome Andy

I used Advanced Camera Services (http://www.advancedcameraservices.co.uk) to convert my 20D last year. They did the job in a few days and telephoned to let me know when it was ready - only then did I pay them the £250 + VAT. The conversion also includes an adjustment to the autofocus as infra red focuses at a different point to visible light. Very pleased with a very professional result and would recommend them highly.

ACS offer 720nm, 830nm and clear filters. I opted for the 720 as I could then add an 830 filter if I wanted a deeper IR effect, but there is not much colour at these wavelengths, so they are best suited to B&W IR.

I haven't used Protech, but they offer a wider range of options including 590nm and 665nm if you want more colour (visible light) in your images. Their website gives good examples of the effects from the different filters.

Alistair
                          ACS get my vote. Did a good job on my 20d

Comment

Working...
                          X