noise on photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noise on photos

Hi is there anyone that could tell me what im doing wrong, im trying to learn how to use my canon eos 7d im using a 17-55 lens ive been taking photos using av and tv settings the photos look lovely on the viewfinder but when i load them to the computer and zoom in a bit they are covered in noise on the skin, ive got the iso set on auto to a maximum of 1600, any advice would be greatly appreciated
    thank you

Re: noise on photos

Probably too liitle light or too high an ISO - the 7D is known to be unforgiving in these situations (and I use a 7D too!)

Can you post some sample images with the EXIF data?

Cheers,
    John

Comment

ISO1600 on the 7D is quite noisy, however, what will make noise even more of a nightmare is under exposure. Especially in out of focus areas, and if your subject isn't well lit the noise will just be something you'll have to deal with later.

Trying to keep the ISO as low as possible has a lot of advantages too, like colour reproduction and contrast, however, the higher you go no matter the camera the more likely it's going to creep in. Well exposed and good focus subjects tend to have less noise. Zooming in on a picture will tear you apart also.

I don't know what type of software you are using for processing the images, however, if you are shooting in RAW noise can be taken away no bother. If it's jpg then there is still a mild amount you can clean up. I'd advise shooting RAW and processing in Canons DPP or Lighroom for noise control. Very easy to do. If the 17-55 is the canon 2.8 lens then remember you can get away with shooting at lower shutter speeds for still subjects, and lower the ISO.

Post a wee pic in the replies so we can see what you mean too, that can help :)

Paul
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

+1 on using low ISO on the 7D. For portraits, ISO 100 is it. Period. Adjust the light, not the ISO. If you are shooting JPEGs, switch to RAW and use Adobe Camera RAW in Photoshop or Lightroom and try the noise reduction settings there. Canon's DPP has noise reduction, too, but I've not been impressed with the results, and the interface is a little clunky. If you can find an old Noise Ninja, that is the best as far as I'm concerned. The publisher, Picturecode.com, has recently dropped that product and incorporated it into a more feature-rich, more expensive offering, which I've not tried.

Best bet is to not have to reduce the noise, though, and low ISO plus good exposure are your best bets there.
        Bill
        "If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious." -Paul Harvey, 1964

Comment

I try to not to go over iso 800 on my 7d ... noise is definitely a bit of an issue with it... imho.
          [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by wayne2418 View Post
            I try to not to go over iso 800 on my 7d ... noise is definitely a bit of an issue with it... imho.
            I have the 7D which my wife mostly uses, and a SL1/100D, the Baby Rebel, with a similar 18mp sensor and Digic 5 processor. Noise can be a problem, but as a friend pointed out, if you have to choose between noise or motion blur from a slow shutter speed, what do you prefer?
            Bill
            "If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious." -Paul Harvey, 1964

Comment

I have the 7D which my wife mostly uses, and a SL1/100D, the Baby Rebel, with a similar 18mp sensor and Digic 5 processor. Noise can be a problem, but as a friend pointed out, if you have to choose between noise or motion blur from a slow shutter speed, what do you prefer?

I normally set my ISO on Auto and set the Auto-ISO limit to, depending on the situation and subject matter, between 400 and 1600. Using aperture priority, it seems like the camera tries to achieve a shutter speed no lower than 1/focal length, without regard to stabilization. As a result, it does seem to dial up the ISO a little sooner than I would manually. Shooting mainly handheld, this works out OK generally, although noise reduction in Adobe RAW can sometimes hurt fine detail, so some noise makes it to the final picture. I think printer bleed helps reduce noise also.
              Bill

Comment

It is but... With the right shot, I think you can get away with something over 800. For example, shot at Chester Zoo with a 7D and 70-200 + 1.4x tc:

Lizard by andymulhearn, on Flickr

OK, so it's got so many other flaws in the shot I can't count them but at ISO 12800 it has no shake and it's in focus
                EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Haven't tried it myself yet, but I have old bodies and ISO 1600 (!) is a little noisy. I run DxO Optics Pro 9, and the PRIME algorithm is meant to be the DB's at dealing with noise.
                  Anyone else had any experience with this? Would it be any good for the 7D?
                  1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

I always used to run a surface blur on the background in photoshop and then mask the subject out. noise gone :)
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Working...
                    X