Even More Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even More Advice Please

Hope I wont bore you with my questions, but we all have to learn. Tomorrow I am meeting my Mum so we can go for a walk up on Devils Dyke, is it true that my 70-200mm f/4 is would be good enough, I don`t have a wide angle yet. Any tips or advice would be great. All my lenses are below. As I have a Pro 1 Digital Polarizer filter, would it be a good idea to put that on too, as it can get hazy when up on Devils Dyke.
    Last edited by Dave61; 23-08-2016, 14:32.

Re: Even More Advice Please

Landscapes usually need a wide angle lens but that's not always true - I have been shooting hay bales recently and found my 10-22 was much too wide and ended up shooting both with my 100 f2.8 and 40 f2.8, so you should be ok with the 70-200 at the short end. Close down the aperture to between f13 and f18 + and focus 1/3 of the way into the scene which should ensure detail from front to back. If you are using the polariser to either enhance the skies or cut reflections in the water, you need to ensure you are at 90 degrees to the sun for it to work to its full extent

stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Thank you Stan, the polariser is more to help on the haze, no water at all up there. Thanks again

Comment

I assume you'll be taking your 18-135 as well? Equivalent to about 28 mm on a FF sensor, 18 mm isn't too bad in the absence of a true wide angle lens.
        John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by jk224 View Post
          I assume you'll be taking your 18-135 as well? Equivalent to about 28 mm on a FF sensor, 18 mm isn't too bad in the absence of a true wide angle lens.
          Thanks John, I will only be taking the 70-200 as don`t fancy carry to much as weather is going to be hot.

Comment

Just a thought, would it be better using the 18-135mm instead of the 70-200mm ?

Comment

As it is going to be very hot tomorrow, I have decided to use the 18-135mm as will have to keep an eye on my Mum as she does not like really hot weather, plus it won`t way me down to much either. I will put up some shots when I get them.

Comment

18-135 is going to be the best one to use

stan
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

If photography is not the primary purpose of the trip, and it doesn't sound like it is, then the sensible option would seem to be the 1100D and the 18-135 - the 1100D is a lightweight body but capable and the 18-135 would easily cover most situations. Alternatively you could take the same body coupled with the 18-55 and 55-250 since neither is particularly bulky or heavy.
                  Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thank you guys

Comment

The 18-135mm is probably a good bet for the landscapes, although 70-200mm would be good and telephoto lens do a good job of compressing the landscape which can give a good effect.
                      If you wanted to give yourself a good challenge then I see you have a 50mm, you could take that and see about using that for all your shots.
                      It can be very interesting and challenging using one prime lens for a trip.
                      Andy
                      Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                        The 18-135mm is probably a good bet for the landscapes, although 70-200mm would be good and telephoto lens do a good job of compressing the landscape which can give a good effect.
                        If you wanted to give yourself a good challenge then I see you have a 50mm, you could take that and see about using that for all your shots.
                        It can be very interesting and challenging using one prime lens for a trip.
                        Thanks for that Andy, at the end of the day I want the lightest combo going as it will be very hot and no shade. So I might try the 50mm as have not used it for a while, on the good side Devils Dyke is just up the road from us, so could go up another time too with a different lens on.

Comment

Devils Dyke will have to wait, my Mum just phoned to say it would be to much walking in the sun and heat with no shade, so we will wait until the weather is not so hot.
                          Last edited by Dave61; 23-08-2016, 20:20.

Comment

Working...
                          X