Problems shooting RAW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems shooting RAW

I need some help. I took some shots of my grand daughter on Sunday using RAW/JPG but the images I have got are all in JPG. I don't see two images -one CR2 & the other JPG as mentioned before. What am I doing wrong? I used my Canon 450d for this "experiment" .I have got DPP on my Canon Utilities disc and it has been loaded on to the computer.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Problems shooting RAW

Hi Nathaniel,
    Another member had problems with shooting RAW and JPEG with a 450D and I was able to give him an answer.
    Follow this link to the second page and look for my post in the thread and hopefully this will solve your "gotcha"....

http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/sh...edit-RAW/page2

David
    David

Comment

David, thanks for the tips. However, I had set the quality to RAW+Sail L and even the LCD screen shows at the bottom as RAW +sail L. Still the image I got was only in JPG. So it is still NOT working. My camera was bought new. Anyway, I will try with another memory card tomorrow, when I will have more time to play around. I have also not tried it in P mode as Brian has suggested. Whatever it is I would like to use the creative mode settings as I always do esp TV & AV.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Hello Nathaniel;

Sorry to hear you're having a problem as you set out on this RAW venture! I'm sure it will be something really simple. It's highly unlikely to be a camera or memory-card fault!

Let's go back to basics...

- Are you sure you took the images in a 'creative zone' mode? If they were taken either in 'green-box' mode or one of the 'picture' modes, you can ONLY record JPG; even if you have the camera set to record RAW+JPEG...

- How do you know you 'only' have a JPG file? What are you using to review the folder's contents? You won't see two files during in-camera review; only after upload...

- Can you upload a sample image with the EXIF data intact; that might generate a clue or two...

Cheers...
        I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
        Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Thanks CF. I am posting two shots- one where I have left the camera on AWB & the other one with the WB set for flash- just experimenting. I note that the colours with WB set on flash(the second photo), very deep and highly saturated. Don't know which is better. This is just an "aside" to the main issue of RAW/JPG. NO C&C necessary as I haven't cropped or done anything with the photos. I used only creative mode- TV & AV. I reviewed the photos on my PC having uploaded the images via a card reader to the computer.

Last edited by Nathaniel; 29-09-2010, 10:17.

Comment

Hello Nathaniel;

OK - dependant on your Windows Explorer settings, you 'may' not be able to 'see' the .CR2 files in the folder...

If you open DPP, and surf to the folder containing the images, can you see 2 files?

Make sure your DPP is set to allow both file types to display... Go to Tools, Preferences, View Settings, and un-check 'Display only CR2 images....'

What happens then?
            Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Hi Nathaniel

Have you downloaded the pics to your computer?
              I ask because I was confused by the same issue with my Canon 1000d. When you take a raw + jpeg shot, it only shows on the camera LCD as one image, although there are two versions.
              When I downloaded the images with Zoombrowser, each image had two versions, a jpeg, (with a .jpg extension) and a raw (with a .cr2 extension).
              You will need view the pics with Zoombrowser or another RAW compatible viewer to see the files on your computer.

Colin
              Colin

Kit - 550d, canon 18-135mm & 55- 250mm & 50mm 1.8, tamron 70-300mm VC USD

Comment

HI! Chardy,& CF I have downloaded the images on to my computer via the card reader and can only see one image, JPG. I have got Windows Vista installed on my PC., which is a HP & have got a LG monitor. I will try the other things suggested by CF and you and let you know what the outcome is. At the moment I am sunk without trace and quite disapponited. But I am sure with all the help I am getting I will get there in the end. Chardy, are you suggesting that I should transfer the images,which are now on my HP system to Zoombrower i.e upload them there and see what happens?
                Last edited by Nathaniel; 29-09-2010, 11:09.

Comment

Zoombrowser is an image viewer, plus a few otherthings, so you dont need to download your photos again just open zoombrowser and navigate to the folder you downloaded your shots to and you should see as thumbnail of both the jpeg and raw images

Stan
                  Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                  flickr

Comment

Hi Nathaniel

Try this for size:

1. Set your camera to Av mode. (Just for arguments sake).
                    2. Make sure you have raw+jpeg setting in your camera.
                    3. Take a test shot.
                    4. On your computer create a folder – ‘test photos’ for example in my pictures folder. This just makes it easy to identify.
                    5. Download the photo to the ‘test photos ‘ folder.
                    6. Open up DPP.
                    7. Highlight folder view in the main window.
                    8. By using the tree folder structure highlight the ‘test photos’ folder.
                    9. All images in that folder should now be seen by DPP.

Hope this works...

If you don’t see the 2 different files, then it’s a mystery to me…
                    Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Originally posted by eeyore View Post
                      If you don’t see the 2 different files, then it’s a mystery to me…
                      If Nathaniel doesn't see 2 files; then my money is on the camera NOT being set correctly to capture RAW + JPEG... but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it

Comment

Nathaniel

As stated by Stan, Zoombrowser is an image viewer, which is part of the suite of programs which Canon supply on a CD with every new camera.
                        If you bought your 450d new, you should have got this CD in the box and, if you installed the program from the CD, Zoombrowser will be on your computer.
                        I'm sure that there are other RAW compatible viewers freely available and someone on here may be able to suggest alternatives.

Edit: 'DPP' that eeyore refers to in his post is also part of that suite of programs from the bundled CD.

Colin
                        Last edited by chardy100; 29-09-2010, 12:09.
                        Colin

Kit - 550d, canon 18-135mm & 55- 250mm & 50mm 1.8, tamron 70-300mm VC USD

Comment

HI! Good people. I am still trying and will get back to you when I succeed. I have installed Zoombrowser, Canaon Utilities,DPP etc on my computer straight from the Canon CD/DVD supplied. It is possible that I have not got my head/brain screwed right for this as IT/PC is just not my forte. However, I will keep on trying and see where I get to. Every little help I get from the members helps me to untanlge my brain. Oh,give me figure work anytime to PC/IT!!!!! Have gone back to my little wee dram of Wh.......... before I try again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
                            ........ my money is on the camera NOT being set correctly to capture RAW + JPEG......
                            my money as well which is why I sent the link to the other thread about not seeing the RAW files which we both got involved in ...
                            David

Comment

Some progress but not the end result. I have found that I had downloaded the grand daughter images on to my computer via HP, using HP Photosmart Essential 3.0, which might explain why I haven't seen the CR.2 images. Unfortunately I deleted the images from the memory card as soon as I put it back in the camera .When I took a few other test shots as suggested by Richard, and downloaded using Windows,or say Zoom Browser I can see two files- JPEG & CR.2. But having said that, if I clicked on the Jpeg file, the photo comes up at once on my screen. But when I click on CR.2 file, it takes me to Zoombrower and then I got the message "unidentified error". I then thought the disc was at fault or something and I re-loaded the zoombrower disc and re-loaded it. BUT I get the same message i.e I can't open the CR.2 file. No problem with the JPG file. I am atleast happy that there is no problem with the camera or it's settings. The fault/problem is at the computer end- my worst SUBJECT!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X