To return or thrash out a discount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To return or thrash out a discount

Good evening, this is my first post. I have made the move over to Canon from another manufacturer, after research and budgetary constraints I decided to go for a 50D. I managed to find a new example from a major high street outlet. The item described as brand new with a 12 mth warranty arrived today. It came bundled with a 18-85 IS lens. It would appear to me this was a display cabinet example. On opening the dissapointingly tatty box I noticed straight away the rear screen has a crack about an inch long. Whilst only noticeable on an angle it is clearly not good enough. It appears to only be the outer glass/ surface. I have mailed their customer services and expect a call tomorrow, the question is this do I try and negotiate a hefty discount and keep the camera or return it and purchase a 600D. I paid £720 for the camera and lens. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Regards Rich
    Last edited by Pastiche; 29-06-2011, 23:02.

Re: To return or thrash out a discount

Take it back and get a factory fresh 600D with a 18-50IS

The 50D was clearly not new
    ef-r

Comment

I would want my money back and a discount off a 600D - if you wanted to upgrade in the future no one would buy it with a cracked screen

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

If it has suffered an impact severe enough to crack the screen, it may well have suffered other damage. I'd be back to the shop a bit sharpish.
        Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

Don't wait - change it...
          Chris.
          Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Hello, I have to say I'm more than a bit miffed about this. I purchased the camera through a large chains outlet site on eBay, it arrived last Weds and on opening I spotted the crack in the glass over the lcd. I mailed them Weds pm and had to wait until Friday for a response, that being do you want 10% off or return, I asked they call me, no response until today. This latest mail says they will be in contact to arrange a courier. I have to say having looked at a 600D on Saturday I prefer the look and feel of the 50D. I dont think I can justify the cost of a 60D. I am toying with the idea of asking for a 10% discount and a repair to hold on to the camera, I just havent seen anything else (under £1,000) I like. I have big hands and like the weight and size of a magnesium bodied camera.
            Would I be making a mistake if they sent it to Canon for a replacement screen / check up?
            Last edited by Pastiche; 04-07-2011, 21:41.

Comment

Working...
            X