Lens or camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens or camera?

I have read a number of threads particulaly regarding the 7D quality.

In film days the camera was the tool but the lens made the picture thus money would be better spent on quality lenses. Newish to the digital format are things different now, is it still a race to keep up with the pixel count?

Graham.

Re: Lens or camera?

The temptation for me is to upgrade the camera as sensors and firmware improve to give better image quality and performance at high ISO - thats probably every 2 years for XXD range camera - far less frequently for XD.
    XXD upgrades - are usually more frequent but not necessarily better Image quality or performance - but more features.
    Lenses are relatively static at the L range but there were a few upgrades last year.

thats my perception.....I would aim to get the best glass and keep it and keep upgrading bodies as they present a significant benefit over what you have.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

There have been many fantastic images taken on cameras from 10D and beyond. That's maybe a bit old now but the glass is far more important and represents a good investment. Yes new bodies do have benefits but like Brian says no point upgrading unless the represet a significant upgrade to what you have.
      5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

I get the very best glass I can afford.

By preference, I am happy to miss every other body upgrade, unless there is a significant improvement that will aid my photography.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

I've always spent money on the best glass for either Canon or Noink (when I was on the dark side). I've seen results from German glass and that can be superb. I did back in the film days upgrade the body now and then (the life cycle was somewhat longer than it is nowadays) ... but kept the glass.

With digital Pixel count helps up to a point ... but I'd prefer a lot less noise (and the ability to use very high ISO without a second thought) and better dynamic range.

But as the 7D highlights ... the skill of the operator (or perhaps I mean the operators understanding of the functioning of the kit) is very important. As kit gets more and more complex (again I mean has the ability to be configured in many ways) it is becoming a challenge for some to get the most from it. When I borrowed a 1D4 last year ... I left it on Av with everything more or less defaulted and got superb results ... airplanes, ships, landscapes, etc. And I'm a technical person who has had SLRs since the 60's and 120 format before that.

Sorry that a bit of ramble ... but hopefully you know what I mean

Comment

I have just reduced my pixel count and the results are far better.
            Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

Depends if it is a push comes to shove question.. All things being equal money is best spent on top glass as long as the camera is half decent.. I get images that look as good to me from my 10D or my 5D say compared to my 1DMK1V ... Now if your work depends more on getting the shot, then get something as least as good as a 7D
              Canon 1DX Canon EOS 1D Mark 1V Canon EOS 7D Mk 11 EOS 5D Canon EF800mm f5.6 IS Canon EF500mm f4 Mark 11 Canon EF400mm f4 IS DO EF300 f2.8 IS Canon EF 200mm f2 IS Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS Canon EF100mm IS F2.8 Canon EF24-70 F2.8 Canon EF16-35 f4 Mk11 Canon EF15mm Fisheye Canon 1.4 tele converter 111 Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art

Comment

Apart from a lot more to learn with new technology I think that's all you get with the higher end cameras is larger images to print, as you say a 10D can produce stunning images so unless you want to show poster size then why waste money on a new camera, good glass is the way to go.

Comment

New bodies have:

- faster and more accurate AF
                  - more and better pixels (allowing cropping)
                  - better ISO performance (allowing faster shutter speed)
                  - better screens
                  - Liveview

That is why we have moved on from the old 20d/5d era - to expand our horizons. The old stuff will still deliver things like weddings without problem.

When to move on from more recent kit such as 40d/50d/500d/550d is much harder as the technology leap isn't so big and therefore the benefits less.

Old glass though doesn't get out of date so quickly - so a good investment in good glass will last much much longer before replacement is needed. For example the original 70-200L 2.8 (non IS) will still give a good image today even though the design is now 16 years old or so.
                  Last edited by briansquibb; 30-08-2011, 21:45.
                  ef-r

Comment

Working...
                  X