lens and flash confusion please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lens and flash confusion please help

him im new to this forum im buying a canon 600D upgrading from my Panasonic fz50 I have been reading up on the 600d most people say to get the best out of the camera you need to upgrade the lens I mostly want to take photos of the grand children holiday photos with some zoom and as a pigeon fancier photos of the birds in flight so like everyone im looking good sharp photos but im confused as to what size of lens I was thinking about 70x300 or the 55x250 lens but what should I be looking for OS IS OR USM
    like most after buying the camera money will be a bit tight so what's your thoughts on the sigma lens or maybe you have some other make in mind maybe you could recommend a type of lens a model number would be a great help maybe save me from buying the wrong lens
    then there's the flash
    sigma ef-530 / 500 dg super for canon
    or
    Nissin Di622 MkII Speedlite - Canon Fit

what would you buy first lens or flash ?

I know this is like how longs a piece of string but thank you to all who may comment thank you mick

Re: lens and flash confusion please help

Well I bought the lens first and went for the 55-250mm is lens and wouldn't trade it for the world. Can't give any advice on the 70-300 or the sigma as not used either, maybe someone else on the forum can help with that. I think ultimately its a very personal decision on what to part with your cash for. Not a lot of help I know.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

I personally would go for the lens first as the camera has a built-in flash which will work for you close up with the grand children etc. you can also use it for fill flash if you want.

Others will give you much more technical detail about the lenses etc. but in my very simple way of looking at things the IS is imgage stabalisation which will help you reduce camera shake (not reduce subject movement) and let you use a slower shutter speed. The USM is the type of motor that the lens uses for moving the various elements around within it to auto-focus.

I had the 70-300 canon USM lens and found it to be good for a cheap canon lens, there are a lot of people who have the 55-250 canon lens an produce some very good photographs with it. I am afraid I have no personal knowledge of using Sigma or other lenses on my canon camera.

Comment

Hello Micko and welcome to the Forum.

Get the lens first every time.

The 55 - 250 seems to be more highly regarded than the 70 - 300mm, so even though you lose a little reach, the 55 - 250mm seems the one to go for. The standard kit lens is more than adequate for grandchildren and landscapes. Choose you supplier wisely and you may be able to get a double kit lens deal.

I don't have any experience with the Nissin flash, but I am aware that other members are very pleased with the results from theirs.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Is the 600D coming with a lens and if so which one or is it just the body only you are getting?? This bit of information may help people with their suggestions for you.

I used the 70-300 IS USM (not the L) and managed some cracking shots of birds with it, a friend now uses it and he is also producing some cracking shots.
          If you want "snaps" of the grandchildren then maybe a nifty-fifty (50mm 1.8 MkII) would come in very handy as it also produces some great portrait images and it is possibly Canon's cheapest lens.

If you are going to use the built in flash as suggested by Muscat then to reduce the harsh light it can give an image think about getting a pop up flash diffuser from Amazon for about £5 http://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-Pop-Up-F...5400243&sr=8-4

Oh and welcome to the world of empty pockets as there will always be that something else which is crucial to purchase....

David
          Last edited by djguk47; 07-09-2011, 13:04. Reason: corrected my crap English grammer
          David

Comment

Although I myself and still new at this photography lark I would say lens first. After the kit lens I went for the 55-250mm lens. In fact it is hardly ever off the camera now. I have used it to photograph my grandchildren and also when out and about, easy to hand hold and even I have gotten some good shots :)
            Haven't experienced any of the other lenses, although I have recently purchased the nifty fifty aswell.

Welcome to the forum and look forward to seeing some of your photographs.

Sandra
            “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
            http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

Hi micko and welcome to the forum.
              If buying the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens then make sure it is the latest version II which was launched back in June this year.
              Prices between £184.00 - £209.00 depending where purchased. Jessops are charging £329.95 which is RRP but over-the-top price, so avoid purchasing there.

Whatever you chose, good luck.
              Last edited by Hereford_EOS2; 07-09-2011, 16:04.

Comment

I'd second the advice from David regarding the diffuser.

I used the EFS 70-300mm IS USM and liked the range and IQ so much that I bought the L version. Sorry I can't offer a comparison with the 55-250mm.

Regards
                Graydon
                Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
                EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

thank you to all who took the time to reply
                  if anyone who can comment on the sigma lens i would be grateful
                  and again thank you mick
                  Last edited by micko; 07-09-2011, 21:40.

Comment

Working...
                  X