Managing contrast at time of shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managing contrast at time of shooting

I find that when I am processing my photos in the computer (no matter what software I use) I almost invariably have to increase contrast. Is there any way of increasing contrast at the time of shooting? There doesn't seem to be any obvious setting in my 450D for this. I'm told that pics taken with a DSLR do usually require some sharpening because of the nature of the technology. However, mine seem to need an excessive amount. If this is an idiot query please forgive my ignorance.
    Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Re: Managing contrast at time of shooting

Hi Garrett - Have a look at tweaking your picture styles - that's all I can think of.

Trev

Comment

Thanks Trev. I'm such a novice that I haven't a clue what tweaks would be appropriate. Any ideas?
      Garrett

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

Is there any way of increasing contrast at the time of shooting
        I'm told that pics taken with a DSLR do usually require some sharpening
        Hi Garrett , try experimenting with increasing your contrast and sharpness on a particular picture style and make it active.

It's possible to get razor sharp shots out of the camera were little sharpening on a PC is just the icing on the cake :-)

Trev

Comment

It's possible to get razor sharp shots out of the camera were little sharpening on a PC is just the icing on the cake :-)
          I think I should add, that's a reference to the "all raw files require sharpening" phrase I often read on the net, rather than saying you didnt know about getting sharp images from the camera. LOL

I think we see too many images where the taker has snapped a soft image, been disappointed, then resorted to over on sharpening in PP.
          These images stand out like a sore thumb in my eyes. Being a nice chap I don't get the urge to comment on every over-sharpened snap I see, that doesn't mean I can't have a private giggle. :-)

Trev

Comment

Trev, I really am grateful to you. I feel a bit of a duffer because, following your advice, I see that the solution to my problem was available to me all the time but I was too blind to see it. I have now adjusted the contrast (and also the sharpness) and will take my dog out for a walk and bring the camera.

By the way, I'm not so sure that I do know how to get sharp images from the camera. Or, rather, I find I often don't get sharp images and have attributed this to advancing years and the inability to steady the camera (hand-held) as well as I used to.
            Garrett

Comment

Have a look at tweaking your picture styles
              I have never used picture styles so i may be wrong but i think the picture stylews are only relavent if you shoot jpeg and have no effect on a raw file

Stan
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

I have never used picture styles so i may be wrong
                Stan any applied picture style is maintained if you open raw images in DPP, the settings are editable.

For those who aren't familiar with picture styles, it's very easy to check this.

Trev
                Last edited by Trevoreast; 29-09-2011, 20:41.

Comment

You are quite right Trev. I had uninstalled DPP because I found it slow and used ACDSee Pro 4 instead. However, after you had put me on the track of increasing contrast in picture styles, I read that DPP is the only software that maintains picture styles so I've had to re-install it.

My efforts this afternoon with the edited picture style were satisfactory from the point of view of contrast, which is great and many thanks. From the point of view of sharpness they were not so good as they were hand-held with a dog in tow. I'll have to leave the pooch at home and take the tripod for a walk instead!
                  Garrett

Comment

Garrett
                    I'm not sure about picture styles, I would only use with jpegs
                    I suppose if you find you always increase the contrast by 1, it would be one less job to do.

DPP is slow for me since getting the 7D the raws are 20 odd MB, and my computer needs upgrading.
                    To get around this at the moment I'm putting images into more sub folders with a max of about 20 images per folder.

Maybe the other issue is just about maintaining a comfortable shutter speed for hand holding, and killing motion in the scene.
                    We all get soft shots, TBH if something was important I'd take 3 or 4 shots, to quadruple my chances of a sharp images, and if I'm lucky the sharp one will be the best for content. :-)

Trev

Comment

Stan any applied picture style is maintained if you open raw images in DPP, the settings are editable
                      I had discounted DPP but of course you are right. However if you use ACR as i do then the picture styles have no effect

Stan
                      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                      flickr

Comment

I suppose the fact is that it's a far from perfect world and we all decide on our particular way through the maze of technology. Technology has its wonderful advantages but the possibilities provided by it do lead to complications. I doubt if I use a quarter of all the capabilities of even my entry level camera and it's probably the same with many photographers.

At any rate, my immediate problem is solved and I thank you.
                        Garrett

Comment

Working...
                        X