With reference to Whitby Goth Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With reference to Whitby Goth Weekend

It is rapidly approaching the time of year again when the Whitby Goth Festival will be taking place. We all know what a great photographic opportunity this is for us, but I have been asked by a Whitby Goth Moderator if I could possibly spread the word among my fellow photographers about the Rector's concerns regarding hordes of photographers, and Goths alike using St. Mary's Church graveyard for photography. He has been in contact with the Parish Council and this is what he has posted, and I quote:-

"We've been talking to the parish council and they have asked that people take a little more care when posing for photographs, or asking others to, that they don't trample over graves and climb over gravestones. Since WGW began we've seen an increase in numbers, particularly of photographers and people being photographed, nothing wrong this this of course, but the sheer numbers now mean that the church yard is very often quite full of people. All that we are asking is that everyone takes a little more care and shows some respect.

Thanks!"

Unquote.

The main concern from the church authorities, is the lack of respect being shown by people draping themselves across the gravestones, and tables, and also photographers clambering all over the tombstones. I'm sure you all know what I mean. Both photographers and Goths alike must share the responsibility for this situation being allowed to develop. Personally I never go up there for precisely these reasons. Ask yourself how you would feel if you found someone draped all over your loved ones gravestone. I know I wouldn't feel happy at all about it.
    I will add this link to a report in the Telegraph, which outlines the views of the Rector regarding this. I know the spelling leaves a lot to be desired, and the grammar is not what you would expect from the Telegraph, but it clearly states the Rectors concerns.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...graveyard.html

Wouldn't it be nice, if all concerned, both Goths and photographers could act a little more responsibly this year. Please don't flame me on this one. I am only posting this as I fear if we, collectively, don't moderate ourselves, then we shall have moderation forced upon us. Surely that is not what we want.
    My Website
Working...
X