Second Cricket test- England Vs NZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Cricket test- England Vs NZ

Lovely inninns by Joe Root, closely followed by Johnny Braistow. I am suggesting that Ian Bell should be dropped as well and Nick Compton when KP returns for the Ashes series. Ian is simply giving his wicket away; his feet aren't in the right position at times, resulting in catches behind the wicket and in the slips. Nick Compton is too intense although I would love to give him a long run so that he can establish himself in the side- but time is running out for him.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Second Cricket test- England Vs NZ

Nat, I'm glad you're not a selector and I'm not a player. A little harsh I feel. Compton will come good I'm sure, and Bell will recover his form, but he's taken two catches this p.m. and really adds value in the field. Meanwhile I have grave doubts about KP. Certainly not a team player, and so inconsistent. I'd be reluctant to select him.

NZ 123 for 9 on Sunday!
    Russell
    Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

I have just got back from visiting a sick friend in hospital and note that NZ are all out and the follow on has not been enforced. A big mistake I think as rain is forecast tomorrow & possibly day after. Hope the forecasters are proved "wrong" so that England can wrap up this series. KP is a brilliant batsman but has his problems and he has to be handled with care. I am sure a person like Mike Brearley would have got the best out of KP as he did with Ian Botham.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I think KP is a law unto himself. On the other hand Compton has done nothing to improve his chance of ashes selection this afternoon. Hopefully Cook has made the right decision. Declare early tomorrow with a 400 lead (just 220 in addition to their 1st innings lead) and skittle NZ out for another mediocre score.
        Russell
        Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX

Comment

Keeping fingers crossed that you are proved right. I do feel sorry for Nick Compton and I think his nerves are getting the better of him- like Ravi Bopara and Owais Shah. I am of course reluctant to move Joe Root to open with Cook so early in his career.

Comment

This England regime doesn't give up on players easily, so I expect Compton to stay in the squad. Unfortunately, though, he may not have the temperament for cricket at this level. He looks very up-tight and intense and at his age it may be too late to change. Shades of Owais Shah.
            No doubt England's sports psychologist will be working with him.
            Meanwhile, England seem to be warming up well for the Ashes. I wonder if Cook decided not to enforce the follow-on to give the top order some more time in the middle?

Ian
            EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

I would hate to see Johnny Bairstow dropped as he is an exciting player to watch. Compton has done better than Owais Shah, Mark Ramprakash and Ravi Bopara and it is a pity even after scoring well in India and NZ he is still so intense. Anyway, England are lucky to have such a strong squad of players- batters and bowlers. The weather being what it is, I would have preferred England to have enforced the follow on and won the match with 2 days to spare. I am still available as an "England selector" anytime!

Comment

It is easy from the armchair, isn't it Nat?

Ian
                EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

Originally posted by Deva32 View Post
                  It is easy from the armchair, isn't it Nat?

Ian
                  Quite true Ian. I am THE PUNDIT!

Comment

as he is an exciting player to watch
                    This is cricket we are talking about right???

LOL

EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Originally posted by celtex View Post
                      This is cricket we are talking about right???

LOL

Yes, sort of with all the interruptions for rain! I am delighted that England won despite being too cautious. Now for the Ashes.

Comment

Cook took an incredible gamble with the weather, and was really lucky to get away with it. 10 minutes after the end of play it started raining again.

Without that weather break I think the press would have slated him.

Nonetheless as Will S. said "All's well that ends well"
                        Russell

Comment

Erm, I was being a little sarcastic - seeing the word 'exciting' and cricket appear in the same post......
                          EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                            I would hate to see Johnny Bairstow dropped as he is an exciting player to watch. Compton has done better than Owais Shah, Mark Ramprakash and Ravi Bopara and it is a pity even after scoring well in India and NZ he is still so intense. Anyway, England are lucky to have such a strong squad of players- batters and bowlers. The weather being what it is, I would have preferred England to have enforced the follow on and won the match with 2 days to spare. I am still available as an "England selector" anytime!
                            Nat, you are an England selector. Like all of us, just an armchair one! The KP debate will run and run I fear. He will either win us the Ashes (or not) or disappear into obscurity. England are fortunate to have so many good players to choose from-in fact probably too many, which can make selection a tad difficult. My team had to rope 3 dads off the common at midday to get a side together! Wish I had Englands problems!!!!

Comment

They should have Nat on TMS !! Since it moved into the Cloud (errr sorry the Sky) I hardly see any cricket (too mean to subscribe to the Murdoch empire).

Comment

Working...
                              X