Setting custom white balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting custom white balance

Something I have never tried but there is a very interesting article on how to set it in the curent EOS magazine. Question is what WB do you use to take your initial photo on which the custom WB will be based. It seems to make sense to set the camera to AWB but as this setting has a range from 3000 to 7000 k, what happens should your custom wb need to be outside that range - according to the mag the range for custom wb is between 2000 and 10000 k ??

Or maybe I am missing something

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Setting custom white balance

I find the AWB works well enough for 95% of what I shoot, but I still have a couple of custom white balances for sunsets and twilights. Therefore, if I am looking to set a custom white balance for something new, I will take the initial shot at AWB. There are Colour temperature light metres available, but soooo expensive for the little use I would get from one.

In DPP I change white balance from Shot Settings to Colour Temperature. Move the slider to obtain the colour temperature I want and take note of the setting for future use within the camera. If it is something I will use quite often, I set it within the camera as a Custom White Balance setting.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Working...
    X