Photographing other photographers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont know about you but except for private family shots I never take photographs of people. Looking back through old landscape pics I was suprised to note that on the rare occasions somebody did creep into my pictures it was always another photgapher taking a shot - usually used to give a sense of scale.

James
    James Boardman Woodend
    www.jameswoodend.com

Re: Photographing other photographers

As you say, it adds to the sense of scale - I really like this one

Comment

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
      Di's Flickr

Comment

Tom

Comment

One of the reasons I became a photographer was because I didn't like being that side of the camera. One of the downsides of that is I rarely take people shots, but as this photo's shows only too well, people can add dimension, scale and interest to a shot.

I really like this shot with all the drama it entails, but only because the person is there to make it work.
          Colin

Comment

I agree that the person in this shot adds something to it, and helps to add to the drama of it. Very effective

But how many times have you set up for a landscape shot, when someone walks into your shot with a camera phone in their hands? And proceeds to stand there for seems like forever lol

John

Comment

But how many times have you set up for a landscape shot, when someone walks into your shot with a camera phone in their hands? And proceeds to stand there for seems like forever lol
              Not that I do many landscapes, but in that situation I politely ask if they wouldn't mind being out of the shot and generally they are only too happy to comply. I can think of more occasions when I have asked someone to be in shot to add the human element and approached properly, they rarely refuse.

The only time I really wanted people out of the shot and they didn't, because they were too far away for me to discuss it with them, I thought what the hell, I'll take them out in photoshop (in my assassin mode). There were time constraints and I couldn't wait, because the weather was developing into rain and storms and in the next minute there would be no shot. As it turned out, I did the deed in Photoshop and please with the quality of work removing them, realised it was a better shot with them left in.

Better if I showed the example, but I won't hijack this thread, I'll post it in a new one.
              Colin

Comment

James, that's an excellent shot. Where is it?

Sometimes I'm torn too when it comes to including someone in the shot, but as you say it can make all the difference when you need scale, and it worked really well here.
                The Image Plane
                Snapshots of Anything

Comment

Hi Undercrank,
                  It's Dettifoss waterfall in northern Iceland - an amazing site. Iceland has a different view on Health and Safety. If you look carefully you will notice the floor by the photographer is covered in snow and ice and all that separates him from the chasm the water is falling into is a couple of sticks with a bit of string between them ! There are more pics on my 500px site if you are interested.
                  James
                  James Boardman Woodend
                  www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by John27 View Post
                    I agree that the person in this shot adds something to it, and helps to add to the drama of it. Very effective

John
                    My worst experiences of this type are from other amateur togs!! I've had people setting up their tripods smack in front of me Also a few times Ive spotted other people and polietly moved for them or pulled a family member aside providing them with a clear view and not been rewarded with even a smile let alone a thank you!
                    Alun

Comment

I have found that when doing landscape photography most people will move out of the way for you and generally show reasonable consideration. My worst experiences come from Wildlife photography where as soon as somebody notices that you are using a big lens will come tramping, noisily over to ask what you are photographing - often I have to say something like "it was a Kingfisher but you have just scared it away!"
                      James
                      James Boardman Woodend
                      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alun100 View Post
                        My worst experiences of this type are from other amateur togs!! I've had people setting up their tripods smack in front of me Also a few times Ive spotted other people and polietly moved for them or pulled a family member aside providing them with a clear view and not been rewarded with even a smile let alone a thank you!
                        Thats the modern courtesy Alun. You don't find many of the old school type in today's world.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Very nice Jim. Lovely colours in a "dreamy" sort of way. Thanks for sharing.
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                          X