'Gods Light' falling on Knowle Churchyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little snap I took the other day from Clee Hill looking down on Knowle Churchyard. Fog & blue smoke from the log burners getting mixed up into a mist. Just loved the way the stabs of light picked out the grave stones in this little villages churchyard.

What do you think?
    James
    James Boardman Woodend
    www.jameswoodend.com

Re: 'Gods Light' falling on Knowle Churchyard

Superb - Clee Hill I know - just may be up there in the spring.
    Incidentally, I know a guy who takes a lot of similar shots, which are superp - he lives in stourbridge - it pays to get up early, so well done-keep at it!
    A small edit - sorry - B/W may suit the image better

Comment

James

Tom

Comment

Fantastic image.

Shane.

Comment

Hi hhcanon
          I take your point about B/W so I tried it out - there is a lot of middle grey in this image so when converted to b/w it lacks punch. I could beef up the contrast to give it more dynamic range but then it looses some of its subtle tonal range - thanks for the idea - it's always worth trying these things
          James
          James Boardman Woodend
          www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Beautiful and very atmospheric.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
              Hi hhcanon
              I take your point about B/W so I tried it out - there is a lot of middle grey in this image so when converted to b/w it lacks punch. I could beef up the contrast to give it more dynamic range but then it looses some of its subtle tonal range - thanks for the idea - it's always worth trying these things
              James
              No problem mate - cracking image, none the less, but I guess you know that anyway.you are lucky to have that view, so hats off to you!!!

Comment

Very atmospheric layering effect, makes you look around the scene looking for hidden detail in the smoke and mist.
                An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

Comment

Very nice. I like the superb effect that has been created and captured for posterity.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Yes, it's a lovely image, right place at the right time, and having the necessary skills to capture the image.
                    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

One of the beauties of nature and you have captured it well. With the compression you have in the shot, I suspect a telephoto rather than a wide-angle and that church steeple is in just the right place.
                      Colin

Comment

Hi Colin,
                        Well spotted - yes the apparent compression in the picture was produced by a 300mm f2.8 lens on a 1DX
                        James
                        James Boardman Woodend
                        www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Very nice and being in the right place at the right time with the right kit ... good planning I guess?

Comment

I like this, but never really think of using a telephoto lens for landscape

John

Comment

Originally posted by John27 View Post
                              I like this, but never really think of using a telephoto lens for landscape
                              It opens up all sorts of possibilities and then you can move onto stitching images to produce landscapes with a huge amount of detail.

Comment

Working...
                              X