Hi ISO Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi ISO Chicago

We are going to Chicago said Mrs C. Why ever would we go there I said, New York is much better. You can imagine how condescending she was when the hurricane struck and even more so when President Obamah (from Chicago) won his second term. Despite my preconceptions and Mrs C's air of smugness for being right, we had a great week there. Weather was good, sights equally so, but best of all were the people - friendly, helpful, smiling and generally a pleasure to have a conversation with, on such varied topics as the King James Bible to Buckingham Palace.

Anyway, thank you Chicago, but the point of this is to show a night shot. Taken from the 65th floor and I broke two of my rules for this type of shot: first, I didn't take it at dusk, so that I got the indigo blue sky, second I couldn't take my tripod to the restaurant. Check out the ISO below and note that this is straight out of the camera, no noise reduction, sharpening, just a little colour correction and cropped for Photobucket.

1Dx + 24 - 70mm 1/30sec f2.8 ISO 12,800

Colin

Hi ISO Chicago

Colin,
    Very nice indeed.
    James
    James Boardman Woodend
    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Re: Hi ISO Chicago

Hi Colin,

Good shot, mate - did you try higher ISO settings from there?

TTFN,
      Neil
      Neilly's Flickr Page
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
      Facebook
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Wow, and just 1/30 sec only. That's a great camera and lens combo but at the end of the day, its down to the operator. Nice shot, Colin
        Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Neilly View Post
          Hi Colin,

Good shot, mate - did you try higher ISO settings from there?

TTFN,
          Neil
          No Neil. I started with ISO 800 and that was just too slow a shutter speed so I kept upping it until I got something I could use. I had to hold the lens against the window to stop reflections from within the room ruining the shot. At 1/30sec it was hold it against the window, let out a deep breath, hold breath, squeeze shutter then breath normally. Who needs IS?
          Colin

Comment

was it windy?
            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Hi ISO Chicago

A great pic of such a lovely view.

Shane.

Comment

This is a really nice night time image, I never got to try this when I was NY last year.

John

Comment

"Was it windy" LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
                    was it windy?
                    No. And according to our tour guide, the term came into use after the World Fair, held in Chicago in 1893. The New York politicians had a few sour grapes and stated the World Fair was only held in Chicago, rather than New York, because the Chicago Politicians were "more windy". One presumes they were referring to talking rather a lot, rather than any inference to flatulence.
                    Colin

Comment

Thats a Classy shot Colin. Very nice,very envious. I note from your opening pre-amble you discussed the King James Bible to Buckingham Palace. Any chance you discussed Women Bishops?
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Bet that made your day Colin, a real Beauty.

Papa.

Comment

Any chance you discussed Women Bishops?
                          No Nathaniel. That only became topical after I had left. Historical Kings and Queens seemed to be favourite, plus some of the publicity surrounding the current junior Royals.
                          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                            One presumes they were referring to talking rather a lot, rather than any inference to flatulence.
                            LOL
                            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                              No Nathaniel. That only became topical after I had left. Historical Kings and Queens seemed to be favourite, plus some of the publicity surrounding the current junior Royals.
                              I posed that question as I would like to know how one can reconcile, the malesness in the Bible for example in the Lord's Prayer which starts "our FATHER....." and therefore where do women bishops come into it? Just a thought over these dismal days- bad weather.
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                              X