Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thailand Seascape Post Sunset Cloud Shadows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thailand Seascape Post Sunset Cloud Shadows.

Hi All

This is my very first post in this forum though not a newcomer to photography or indeed Canon DSLRs. I was introduced to this excellent looking forum by my very good friend and fellow member here Andy Mackie. We both have Canon EOS 5D cameras but his is the superb new MkIII and mine the older but still excellent MkII which I still love to bits.

Anyway he suggested I should start by making a post here with a sample shot. So here is my initial effort with a recent shot I took a few weeks ago.

I used low level fill-in flash lighting reducing the flash output down to -2.3 stops to give a little more foreground detail on the lower left rock to balance the shot out a little and act as a pointer to the main post sunset sky subject. It was taken from a small secluded beach on the Thai mainland near to Pattaya harbour looking out to Koh Larn island. I waited some while for this shot until the warm post sunset sky produced the nice fanning out cloud shadow effect, which does not last very long when you are lucky enough to see it. I know sunset shots are ten a penny and indeed i have hundreds of them, but I was rather happy with this particular one.

Constructive comments most welcome of course. I am currently concentrating on the much needed honing of my limited compositional skills.

Technical details. EOS 5D2, EF17-40mm f4 L with JYC Pro1-D C-PL filter fitted, Yongnuo YN 568EX Speedlight for fill in flash. Shot RAW using a monopod at 17mm, f8, ISO 800, 1/100th sec FEC set to -2.33. Processed with Lightroom 4

Koh Larn, Thailand. Post Sunset.jpg by raymwuk, on Flickr
    Last edited by RayongRay; 29-11-2012, 11:58.
    Best Regards
    Ray Walton

Re: Thailand Seascape Post Sunset Cloud Shadows.

Hi Ray and welcome. What a stuning sea scape.
    Alun

Comment

Tom

Comment

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

That is a lovely sunset and the little bit of fill lint on the rocks I feel is spot on.

Comment

Great shot, Ray, & welcome to the forum!
            Andy

Comment

Hello Ray and welcome.

As you say, sunset shots are ten a penny, but not goods ones such as yours. Makes me wish I was there.
              Colin

Comment

Don't want to proverbially flog a dead horse but anyway I will , so before I move on from this thread I wanted to share just a couple more I kind of liked from this particular sunset shoot. Taken from different positions to the first thread shot, with different foregrounds and at different times too. The first one taken earlier just before the sun actually set, and the other slightly later again with the fanning out cloud shadows. As I mentioned above quite different perspectives and foreground detail.

Koh Larn, Thailand Sunset.jpg by raymwuk, on Flickr

Koh Larn, Thailand. Post Sunset - 2.jpg by raymwuk, on Flickr
                Best Regards
                Ray Walton

Comment

All good, Ray, but the first is the best in my opinion
                  Cheers
                  Andy

Comment

Working...
                  X