Ethereal fisherman, Bang Pra, Thailand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethereal fisherman, Bang Pra, Thailand

Found this lonesome guy fishing early in the morning over a misty lake at Bang Pra bird sanctuary, Chonburi Province, Thailand.

5D3, 400mm w/70-200 f2.8L IS II + 2xIII extender, 1/45 @f5.6 ISO 100

BNE_8974.jpg by AndyMackie1, on Flickr

For those who hate HDR especially when overdone (as this one is, deliberately), please forgive my indulgence as while waiting for the ever elusive kingfisher at the same lake, I couldn't help but shoot 3 shots for processing in HDR later and I rather like the "painted" style of this over-cooked version

5D3, 16mm w/16-35 f2.8L II, 1/750+1/1500+1/2000 all @f11 ISO 400 combined in Photomatix

BNE_9106_7_8_tonemapped.jpg by AndyMackie1, on Flickr

Hope you like them
    Andy
    Last edited by AndyMackie; 15-01-2013, 12:25.

Re: Ethereal fisherman, Bang Pra, Thailand

Andy, I like both images but where I typically don't like a lot of HDR I do like your version here, I think if it were mine I would be tempted to crop some of the green from the bottom to just below the triangular piece of water in the foreground, I feel by doing that you focus the eye onto the very powerful sky.

Comment

Andy I really like the first

Have you tried it in monochrome yellow/white?
      ef-r

Comment

Yep, really love the first image -

Ian
        EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Andy, I like the first one. There is a restful, gentle quality to it.

I am not a lover of HDR and usually get out my sunglasses to view one .................... I used welding goggles for this one.
          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            I used welding goggles for this one.
            Sorry - coffee spat all over my keyboard -

Great 1st image but I am in the same boat (see what I did there) as Colin when it comes to HDR, I have seen a few very subtle conversions which work well but all too often people get carried away and it ruins an otherwise terrific photograph and I'm afraid for me you have gone waaaaaaay overboard on the 2nd one. just my opinion of course ;-)

.DAVID.
            Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

I used welding goggles for this one.
              Ha, I know what you mean Colin - I don't think it will find a way to my wall unless perhaps the downstairs loo where it will bring in some light ! Anyway, although I would usually only consider subtle use of HDR, I like the abstract in this one for some reason.

Thanks to all for the comments, particularly on the first one.
              Andy

Comment

Wow what a difference in two images. Love the first one, suberb light and mood, I'll pass by the second one though..sorry am no fan of HDR.

Roger
                Nostalgia is ok...not as good as it used to be though

Comment

Really love he 1st image. A very tranquil image that should be framed and placed in a place where many could view it.

Tom

Comment

I am not a lover of HDR and usually get out my sunglasses to view one .................... I used welding goggles for this one.
                    That comment made me laugh. The HDR is just too much.

Yet #1 is superb, definately a winner with the Wow! factor.
                    Just wish I took it, very inspirational.
                    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Thanks to you all for the generous words on the fisherman.

David/Roger, I must admit the first is also my favourite of the two but just felt like submitting a bi-polar post! The 2nd generated the desired debate over abuse of HDR although I still find myself drawn back to what looks to me like a dirty rainstorm from violent clouds on an otherwise beautiful sunny day. Muscat, I did look at your crop suggestion, but unfortunately I reckon it wouldn't cut enough of it out to make it acceptable to those who didn't like it at all

Brian, wrt the fisherman, I know where you're coming from as I tried a variety of B&W / monochromes on the fisherman before settling on the presentation including a splash of colour (which I muted just a bit), but I appreciate the thought.

Tom, I think I will print it for the wall as it will forever remind me of a great day out - thanks for the suggestion.

Have a great new year snapping away, everyone!

Andy

Comment

The first is so natural i like it, the second that HDR i didn't like, i can do much better HDR than this and it is busy and no so great composition, if you took your time you can find your angle, good tries anyway.

Comment

Andy, Number one is reading 10/10 on my envy meter. Wish I had taken that.
                          Beautiful work.
                          Thanks for sharing
                          Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
                          EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Very much like the first one.

Comment

Thanks Tareq, Graydon & Housey - appreciate the thumbsup and kind words on the fisherman. It was a lovely day and this picture rather epitomised it for me.
                              I think I'm going to give up on the HDR pic and never produce another like it!! The balanced comments between the 2 pics is a good example of how this forum can provide objective criticism without one getting "flamed". Thanks to all in this regard.
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X