Upside down Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upside down Trees

Walking along the canal, looking for today's images for my blog I spotted these trees growing upside down:

Camera EOS-M w/EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
    1/80 sec @ f/3.5, ISO 100

Comments Welcomed

Tom

Re: Upside down Trees

Basically I was looking for reflections in the water: Here is another image of the walk that is also in the blog:

Same Camera, 1/160 sec @ f/3.5, ISO 100

Again comments welcomed

Tom

Comment

Nice images Tom, I also enjoy capturing reflections, but it has been blowing a gale for the last few days here in the UK, so here's one I captured earlier.

Claremont, The Lake Autumn 2012 by PhotographyRussell, on Flickr

Hope you like it!
      Russell
      Russell
      Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Nice shots Tom, I like the concept of the upside down trees but of the two images the second is my favourites as it has great lines and lead in.

Comment

Thanks Russell and Ian. Nice image Russell, the fall colors really pop in the reflection. I would tend to agree with you on that Ian. What I find is when you pick a fixed focal lens, then you are limited on how you want to shoot something. If I hand my 16-35 on my 5D, that 1st image would of been shot entirely different. But since the canal was narrow, and the reflection was like a mirror, I wanted to capture that reflection the best possible way. That's why I did take several other images, but they really reflect the mirror like quality as did the 1st image IMO as keeping to the rules I set M-22 @ f/3.5.

Again thanks for looking.

Tom

Comment

Tom, I think I'd have liked #1 the best if you hadn't clipped the top of the trees in the reflection.
            Both are great shots, though, as is Russell's
            Andy

Comment

Thanks Andy. It was a tough choice, cause if I included the top of the tree, then I would have lost a good portion of the ground reflection as well. Now if I had a ladder with me that might of helped a bit. Thanks for looking and leaving a comment. Much appreciate yours and everyone else's point of view.

Tom

Comment

Tom,

I'm only a beginner in this game, so forgive me if I'm overstepping the mark, but how do you feel about a tighter crop?

IMG_1354-Edit_zps5d0428bf.jpg

Russell
                Russell
                Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX

Comment

Works for me Tom. Sometimes only having the reflection is more effective.

Kevin

Comment

Thanks Kevin. Russell, thanks for taking the initiative for doing a crop. However, I prefer to see the land in the reflection as that is what initially drew me to take the image.

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,
                      I understand how you might want to present your landscape to include both the land and the reflection. My autumn image almost always elicits the "Oh! that's nice" response.

But yours is much more powerful. It confuses, it's dark, to me it feels threatening, it conveys ... I'm not sure what - but a feeling of being drawn in to the darkness. It doesn't need to be anchored to the bank.

OK I'm perhaps barking mad. But now, when everyone can take a technically competent picture, I'm trying to find, and when I can, capture the story. As you have done.

Russell
                      Russell

Comment

Thanks Russell for your reply and would agree & that would, IMO include the top of the tree. But the uniqueness of the image was that the landscape was part of the reflection. The entire image is a reflection.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                        X