Gold Coast Hinterland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gold Coast Hinterland

While driving home with the sun setting fast, I noticed the lines in this field and quickly set the tripod up to catch the hue and shadows.

Shooting into the sun is never easy and as much as I like the photo, hues and composition, I would really appreciate some guidance on how to bring out a little detail in the far field and washed out sky. I tried painting with LR4 but I ended up with an artificial-looking result, including a white line around the trees where they join the sky.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice
    Andy

5D3, 70-200 f2.8L ISii @ 200mm, 1/180 @ f19/ISO400, tripod mounted

20130210-BNE_1051.jpg by AndyMackie1, on Flickr
    Last edited by AndyMackie; 11-02-2013, 12:17. Reason: added speed

Re: Gold Coast Hinterland

Hi Andy, Shooting into sunlight is very difficult and you have to decide if you want to loss the highlites or the shadows as the contract is so wide in that situation. I personality do not know of any software that can recover from that. The next best solution is to use a ND grad filter when shooting to help in balancing out the scene.

Tom

Comment

Thanks for the advice, Tom - I think you might be right regarding the ND Grad filter but unforunately I don't have one at the moment. Mental note to self to go shopping again - will it never end!
      Another solution may be a polarising filter - I found this other shot in the sequence taken with a 16-35 lens at 16mm but with a polariser. I initially discarded it as it was too dark but I liked the sky. On brightening the foreground I have some unacceptable noise if I try to crop a similar frame but if I don't crop, its quite nice as it is, I think. So for now, next time, I'll put a polariser on the 70-200. Thanks again for the comment.
      Andy

20130210-BNE_1048.jpg by AndyMackie1, on Flickr

Comment

Any, have you tried using the gradient tool in LR to reduce the exposure and boost clarity and shadow in the sky / field area that may reduce the stark look and give you a little more of what you are looking for.

Comment

Some nice leading/angled lines there Andy and this is where the strength of the image is especially in the first image For this image I would crop out the sky down to the second row of trees.
          For the second image I would add a tobacco grad effect from lightroom about -1.5, the lightroom emulation does a reasonably good job. You could also use the scratch remover tool on the barbed wire lines.
          Both images are good compositions, I can see your second image is about 300 metres back from your first image.
          An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, Muscat - I've never used the gradient tool before but it was a good idea. I couldn't do what I wanted for 1051, which I still like, but I think I was able to improve 1048. Not sure if you will agree but either way, I have once again learned something from this forum.

20130210-BNE_1048.jpg by AndyMackie1, on Flickr

Judder Man, I wasn't able to find a scratch remover so I just cropped out the barbed wire tool and I think the resulting wider angle suits the picture, but anyway thatnks for the advice and kind words regarding the composition.

Andy

Comment

Working...
            X