Where should I go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where should I go?

The bad news for me is Mrs Riggers has some time off work that I don't have so is off to some sunny place abroad with her parents while I have to stay at home

The good news is that gives me a completely free weekend to explore and indulge my new passion for landscape photography

So now I have to decide where to go. These opportunities don't come along that often lol... so I'm not looking at nearby places (I'm in South Yorkshire) as I can do those anytime. I'm thinking somewhere a little further afield where I can stay over one night.

My first thoughts are either the lake district or Llanberis Pass in Snowdonia. Am tending towards the latter.

Any recommendations?
    Last edited by Riggers; 15-05-2013, 21:02.
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Re: Where should I go?

At this time of year - Lake District for me
    Bob Turner
    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

I'd check the weather forecast and plan from there.
      Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
      http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
      https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

I would suggest a plan of the Yorkshire Dales and East Howgills early morning then over tio the Lake District in the afternoon. Got plenty of viewpoinrs with best times of the day if you want more information. As mentioned you are at the mercy of the weather.
        An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

Comment

The coastline around Hull is very attractive
          ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
            The coastline around Hull is very attractive
            Or further up towards Robin Hoods Bay. Or further afield beyond Newcastle (Bamburgh).

It's been said that weather will determine how far from your car you might want to wander ... but stormy skies also have their appeal.

But the Yorkshire Three Peaks, Howgills, The Lakes (inc. Wrynose & Honister Pass) as you say Snowdonia (Beddgelert/Llanberis) ... Peak District or even The Black Mountains.

If you like spectacular drives with scenes ... Penrith to Alston to Stanhope (Or even M1/A1 north to Scotch Corner then to Barnard Castle to Middleton-in-Tessdale to Alston (then to Penrith) ... down to Howgills and then The Lakes).

Comment

I have no hesitation in suggesting the North Wales coast- Anglessey,Snowdonia, yes Llanberis or anywhere around here. Quite a revealation to me having downsized and settled down here. Can't beat the Landscapes around here or wild life (birds).
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyA View Post
                I'd check the weather forecast and plan from there.
                Best advice you'll ever get on landscape photography.

My advice to add to that would be the Photographers Ephemeris website or phone App
                It shows you where the sun will shine on a particular area of your choosing at any point in the day.
                It shows sunrise, moonrise and settings times and where it will happen. It's a killer bit of software.

So with the weather app and photographers ephemeris, you can't go wrong :)
                Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                www.campsie.photography

Comment

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, keep em coming.

Agree Nathaniel. I stayed in Caenarfon a couple of weeks back having spent the day on Anglesey then the next day went up to Chester zoo but took the road through Llanberis and Betys-y-Coed. The scenery through Snodonia really takes your breath away.

Time after time I saw beautiful scenes catch my eye and was dying to stop and set up the tripod but with 3 others in the car all wanting to get a full day at the zoo I had no choice but to drive on by, hence me thinking this would be a good place to return to.

Another place I've long had on my list of places I'd like to visit are the scottish islands so I was thinking the Isle of Skye might be a good option.

Comment

Thanks Paul, yes I have that app on my phone and tablet already.

Comment

Decent OS mapping and Google Earth are also two very useful apps to have on your 'mobile devices'. I use Anquet and Memory-Map for my OS maps.

Comment

I took the advice about weather forecast and took steps to minimise the risk of bad weather by booking a long weekend (4 nights) in Tenerife. Should get some nice shots there :)

Comment

Good call :-)
                          Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                          http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                          https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Llanberis pass and Snowdonia is wonderful, drove through there this week.
                            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Well I arrived in Tenerife. I haven't managed any Landsscapes yet but I saw a really good band last night and it was a chance to practice at taking indoor shots in low light. I used a 60D and 70-200 2.8L II for these all at a scarily high ISO of 3200, which is something I've never tried before but was necessary due to the low light and fast moving subject. I then sharpened them a little in LR afterwards.

Overall I'm really pleased with the result and I think this shows what a good job the 60D does with high ISO.

Here's the album.

This is the first time I've tried anything like this so would welcome any comments.

Comment

Working...
                              X