South Downs HDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Downs HDR

I'm expecting some flack over these but thought I'd post them anyway! I realise that HDR images are not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd welcome some comments. They were taken with the Canon 5D III and the Canon 17-40mm lens. Each one was the result of merging 3 exposures with the help of Photomatix Pro 4. The location was a spot near the Jack & Jill windmills on the South Downs in Sussex, UK.

Re: South Downs HDR

Don't dislike them but as you say not everyone's cup of tea. Actually think the second one works. On the first if you could tone the fence then might look easier on the eye.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Hall View Post
      I'm expecting some flack over these but thought I'd post them anyway!
      Chris, I'm a fan of HDR so keep up the good work! If we all took the same images all the time it would just be dull!

These are very good indeed
      The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Well done Chris. I quite like the inclusion of the fence if your first two images, it's usually something that I try and avoid ... but I may not from now on.
        Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
        http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
        https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Variety is the spice of life!

Really like this set (well, #1 and #2), but can't decide whether I like the fence or not! I think #1 taken without the fence and with the horizon on the bottom third would look superb still as HDR!

Don't like #3, sorry! I think composition works OK, but the detail on the windmill isn't there, and looks blown. Perhaps crop off the right, but underexpose the windmill next time?

Excellent effort though. Well done.

Mike
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

I for one have no problem with HDR as it is a tool in the tool bag and done well brings some spatular images. So with that said, I like what you have done and believe or not, I like the 2nd image over the 1st, but not by much.

Tom

Comment

Not bad at all, tho blue fence doesnt look right. If I squint I can see my house!

Comment

These suffer from what every HDR landscape shot I've seen, in that all the shadows are bleached out, shadows and light give a composition mood & soul, unfortunately lacking in these images.

HDR (and image blending) frequently gives a number of unwanted aberrations, one of which is unnatural colour shifts, like the fence in the first image.

Rant over, I do like the first two compositions , although I would consider a crop to drag the sun less central, perhaps a 60/40 split instead of 50/50?
                Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Can't pick a fave with the colour style, but would say the fence seems to cut off from the rest of the scene. Especially on the high colour one the barb wire has a definite "keep out" feel.

Look forward to seeing more.
                  Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                  Di's Flickr

Comment

Nice images, prefer first one to the desaturated second but feel no 1 would benefit from cropping out the lower section altogether thereby completely removing the fence - just my opinion.

Bill.
                    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Working...
                    X