West Pier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Pier

What remains of the West Pier after the ravages of the sea and fire is one of the icons of Brighton, so having spent the day there yesterday had to get a few shots. Mostly it is shot from the prom and usually late evening / sunset so i wanted to try something a bit different - this one is shot from the deck of the East Pier with my 70-200, handheld, 1/250, f 16, ISO 400

I processed it normally in colour and then added a black and white layer and reduced the opacity to around 50% to let a little of the colour through, followed by some saturation and sharpening

Stan

brighton west pier by Neptuno.Photography, on Flickr
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: West Pier

Interesting viewpoint Stan. Also interesting processing. Out of curiosity, why did you process that way? B+W layer at 50%?

Looks good,

Garry
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Tom

Comment

Cheers tom and Gary

Out of curiosity, why did you process that way? B+W layer at 50%?
        just experimenting really. I was just going to convert it to B & W but liked the effect when i lowered the opacity of the layer

Stan

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
          just experimenting really. I was just going to convert it to B & W but liked the effect when i lowered the opacity of the layer

Stan
          Fair enough! Thanks for replying,

Garry
          Garry Macdonald on Flickr
          Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Nice shot and interesting effect.

I have occasionally used a similar approach but a step further to make a mask for contrasty shots - turn the black and white layer into a negative and select overlay blend mode. The dark parts of the negative image mask will hold back bright areas, the lighter parts will allow the darker areas to come through a bit more. Usually needs opacity below 20%. Won’t sort out burnt out highlights though!

Peter

Comment

I really like that, Stan, and the effect you've achieved. As a matter of interest (I like a good compare/contrast) would you mind putting up the black and white version?
              Canon EOS 7D
              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                Cheers tom and Gary

Stan
                I knew you where a closet B&W photographer all along Stan

Tom

Comment

Hmmm, like that. I like the simplicity, with the pier just standing there, on it's own.

Thanks for the PP tip as well... that's the sort of info I find most helpful.

All the best, Mike.
                  flickr
                  5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

thanks guys

I knew you where a closet B&W photographer all along Stan
                    I am not averse to B&W its just I take very few shots that would be right for the treatment, ie mostly wildlife

As a matter of interest (I like a good compare/contrast) would you mind putting up the black and white version?
                    In fact Alex I did not save either a B&W version or a colour but just for you I have processed the original file again similar, I hope, to what i did the first time

Here is the colour version

brighton west pier colour by Neptuno.Photography, on Flickr

and the B&W

brighton west pier mono by Neptuno.Photography, on Flickr

flickr

Comment

Working...
                    X