Brisbane to Thailand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisbane to Thailand

For a change, the windows and skies were clear enough that I could get a picture of my home away from home on my way home
    Andy
    5D3 w/70-200 f2.8L ISii @ 70mm x1/750 x f5.6 @ ISO 400

20130729-BNE_6754.jpg by AndyMackie1, on Flickr

Re: Brisbane to Thailand

That looks a very dense and busy place.Just so that I know ..
    can you carry onto a plane a large dslr and a heavy lens like the 70-200 III. ???

Thanks for any info ref carrying on....

Wayne.
    [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Yes, Wayne, you can - many airlines have a 7kg policy which worries me a lot in case I get stopped but I've taken a lot more than that with me. As a precaution, wear the camera and 70-200 around your neck and put the rest in your hand luggage.

Brisbane is far from densely populated - it's really nice. Its big enough to be a city but in reality its just a bog town. Half an hour out you're in wonderful tropical forest, mountains or beaches. Click through the photo to Flickr and poke around in the detail of the city a bit and then google the area.

Andy

Comment

OK thanks for that ..I thought they may have said something about wearing a heavy looking set up like that.

Only asked because I did'nt know.And I should correct my mk III status as it where to mk II //LOL

Thanks again Andy ..
        [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Oh! Andy, don't start me on that- Brisbane and Thailand. Reminded me of mount "Kootha" and all those guys who stand,without moving,like statutes. And Thailand- the place of the Lady Boys; how can I forget and warning I received from friends "not to bring one of those girls home as I will get a terrific shock"!!!!!!! Ah! to be young again to travel without health insurance problems
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nat, you're a bad man! There's more to Thailand than lady boys (thank goodness!)
            A

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
              Oh! Ah! to be young again to travel without health insurance problems
              Ho ho love that Nat .... lol.

Comment

Nice one Andy. I can't recall ever getting a city view like that any of the many times we flew back into Brisbane. We always seemed to fly in over the bay which was OK but would have been good to have this view every now and again. Pretty good effort to get New Farm, Kangaroo Point, the City, South Bank and the western suburbs in the same shot.

Hoping for a similar perspective of Reykjavik on Tuesday morning.

Cheers
                Scott
                Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMackie View Post
                  Nat, you're a bad man! There's more to Thailand than lady boys (thank goodness!)
                  A
                  I would have to agree as Thailand is a beautiful country.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMackie View Post
                    A
                    Goodness,Gracious me- Andy. Of course I had a lovely time in Bangkok and Pattaya- can't forget the world heritage site which has similar architecture to the temples and Dagobas in Sri lanka, a cruise ,the food etc. But the lady boys are perhaps unique to Thailand and more so when one he/she "boy" wanted to sit on my lap for a photo session. I would have had a lot of explaining to do- then and even now.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks Scott, you obviously know the area well.

It was a lovely clear day and the plan was quite new - Brisbane being so far east, the planes mostly take off over the ocean and then wheel clockwise with this view of the city before heading off to their destination, so I pre-booked a window seat on the right hand side of the plane in order to get this shot.

I hadn't been in Brisbane more than a couple of months when the river flooded in the worst man made disaster I've witnessed - the greedy beurocrats were forced to release the water from the dam up stream that had been built to prevent such disasters from happening (they'd kept it full and left no contingency for the "unexpected" bad weather that had been the catalyst for its original construction). From the picture, you can perhaps imagine the devastation as nature took over and tried to run a straight line through that snaking course.

Nat, button it - you're just digging a hole! I know you were just having fun and you're right - the Thai culture is such that it accepts and even embraces such things with a wonderful smile on its face rather than attack it with the homophobic aggression still to be found in most countries. But check out some of my bird shots from Bang Phra, for example - I'm not always sure which are male or female amongst those either but they do present just a small taste of the alternatives available to all (for free, btw) in what has to be my favourite country in the world. I have never once met a tourist in my many visits there (thank goodness) and there are many other "secret" parts of the country too. It never ceases to amaze me that I can literally be the only person on a beautiful beach, for example - no, definitely not Phuket.

Thanks to all for looking

Andy

Comment

Working...
                      X