Three from the Lake District

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three from the Lake District

I had a very nice few days in the Lake District last week, here are my three favourite images. I know I have a lot to learn about landscape photography, so comments and critique gratefully received.

Sheffield Pike and Ullswater:

EOS 7D, EF 24-105 with circular polarising filter
    f/5.0 (I honestly don't know why I didn't set this much smaller), 47mm, 1/3200sec, ISO 200

Footbridge below Aira Force:

EOS 7D, EF 24-105
    f/5.6, 67mm, 1/80sec, ISO 200

Tree by Derwent Water:

EOS 7D, EF 24-105
    f/11, 24mm, 1/50sec, ISO 200
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Re: Three from the Lake District

Nice Set Alex

Tom

Comment

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
      Di's Flickr

Comment

Lovely .... makes me want to visit.
        Colin

Comment

Nice set Alex, Sheffield pike looks inviting

Comment

Nice shots Alex, 1 & 3 being my favourites.
            Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
            http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
            https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

First is a peach, everything sits comfortably on the eye, I wish it were mine.

Second, I don't think the light has done you any favours, too contrasty.

Third nearly works, perhaps a few paces to the right would have meant the tree didn't dominate the scene so much?
              Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
              Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Nice images Alex, No1 best for me.

Bill.
                7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Really like them Alex. Happy memories... I was there 3 weeks ago, but looks like you had the better weather!

No. 1 is my favourite. Crystal clear... and at f5!

Love the set - look forward to more of the same!

Mike
                  flickr
                  5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Thanks all for the very generous comments. No 1 has also turned out to be my fave of the trip, which was unexpected as it was just a grab shot on the run, hence the bad aperture choice.
                    Dave, yup, indeed, I spent all my time looking longingly at the tops, but as we were celebrating a family 80th birthday I wasn't going to drag them up there!
                    Les, I had to do a lot of pp work on the second to pull detail out of the shadows etc, which hasn't done it any favours. Of course, sitting here after the event I know I should have taken multiple exposures and combined later, but at the time my little brain just turns to mush. And I see what you mean about the third; I think I dithered between wanting a shot of the tree and one of the lake edged by the tree, and maybe ended up with neither. I did have tons of chromatic aberration all over the branches that I was fairly pleased to solve in pp; another tutorial ticked off.
                    Canon EOS 7D
                    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM

Comment

Hey Alex. It's great to see sunshine :)

First is the best of the lot, however, I wonder what options there was for moving about ? Everyones pics are their own and they love them in their own ways but I wonder if moving to the left to get rid of the tree on the right was possible?

It's just that the snowcapped hills are clearly the focal point and to have it cut off with the tree on the right is distracting. I might have wandered into the field and had the tree on the left as the left third close focus point and then the snow capped hills at the highest peak to the right third. Something that's hard to gauge in other folks pics is the availability to move about though so understand if it was a task to change :)
                      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Paul, you are right, and that is a great call. As it happens, there would have been no problem with access, if I'd have thought about it I could have easily moved further left. One problem with that shot, though, was time. I said it was a grab shot on the run. To expand on this, the rest of the family were nearly at the car park, we wanted to catch a particular steamer sailing time on Ullswater which was in half an hour, and I knew we were still 20 minutes away from the pier at Pooley Bridge. And I didn't know the car parking situation etc. So it was just point, shoot and run. I guess this is where great photographers' instincts just kick in. For me it takes time...
                        Canon EOS 7D

Comment

Working...
                        X