Clear All

Abbey Steps, Whitby

IMG_7214 by jaecom, on Flickr

Does this work?

John
    EOS 70D EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM ; EF 16-35mm f4 L IS USM

Re: Abbey Steps, Whitby

John,

It is a nice image, for me the light in the foreground is demanding too much attention I personally think it would be a stronger image without the light maybe moving down the steps a bit. (this is only my opinion and may be wrong).

You did well not to get any other photographers in your shot when ever I go to whitby for night shots there are always photographers stood around on the steps.
    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
    Facebook
    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

I like this image John,for a night shot the sea look's just a tad too blue,but then i am still learning to do landscape's ,

still a nice image,

John.

Comment

I like that ,nice starburst on the lights too

Comment

Quite a popular view which Joe Cornish captured in a slightly different way his image (from memory) includes more of the harbour and piers to the right in your image. This then moves the lamp further left. However that would then exclude the harbour side lights which add to your image by giving you the reflections on the water. Well done John 👍
          Peter

Feel free to browse my
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Nice shot John.

Bill.
            7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Beautiful scene. I really like Whitby.

I'd be tempted to take the gamma down a little bit so that the light on the steps doesn't overtake the scene and maybe clone out the numbering on the lamp post.
              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
              Di's Flickr

Comment

Sorry John but it dose not work for me. There needs to be more of the image on the right leading down the stairs. The a little more on the left so the stairs start at the left corner IMO

Tom

Comment

Thanks for all your comments - some food for thought which is what posting images is all about. I always like honest opinions as everyone sees something different in every picture.

Thanks for looking and taking the time to post, John

Comment

I thought I had already commented on this! I really like this image. It has a kind of surreal, model like quality, as if the buildings in the foreground are models. Just how I see it! I like the "blueness" of the water too.

Lovely image,

Garry
                    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Hmmm while the scene works and even the blue sea ,the overall yellow tinge to all the white buildings etc is disturbing imho perhaps a play with the White balance would help

Comment

Cheers Garry

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                          Hmmm while the scene works and even the blue sea ,the overall yellow tinge to all the white buildings etc is disturbing imho perhaps a play with the White balance would help
                          I did have a play with WB but decided to leave it ' As shot'

Comment

Run it through photoshop and use a gradient map and choose two different colours. One for the highlights and one for the shadows and see where you end up. Can work wonders for shots sometimes. The shots a tad tight but if you like it then thumbs up :)
                            I only use a camera like I use a toothbrush. It does the job - Don McCullin

Comment

Working...
                            X