X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walking in the woods

Walking in the woods by Anna Paganoni, on Flickr

EOS 7D + EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM

Yesterday I was through the woods on hold of the Spring.
    The day was still cool and foggy and I thought that the atmosphere deserved a photo....
    Every comment and opinion is always welcome.
    Anna

Re: Walking in the woods

Although a nice picture for your memory, from a pictorial point of view the picture is quite busy. The distant figure pulls you into the pic but the
    horizontal wooden rails prevents you from getting there. Also from the rules of the great and wise, never leave a space on the side of a tree. Yes
    I know, but it's one of those rules. Get the tree to really hold you into the pic and not let the eye wonder past. I hope you do not mind the thoughts. All meant in a positive and constructive way. The Winter colour is very good, it may make a better mono. I just like old fashioned black and white. lol

Comment

Hi Anna,
      I do like the ethereal colours of the mist in the trees and the almost purpley branches but it is surprising what a visual barrier to the eye the two front fences are. Unfortunately, I don't think you've got enough of a picture to crop beyond this foreground to focus in on the distant figure and the wood behind which is a pity.

Bo
      Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

I like the photo however I think it would be stronger if the fence/rails in foreground weren't there or there was a route through to the field in line with the gap in the distance
        1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
        Facebook
        www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

do agree with comments above - its nearly there
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Treff View Post
            Although a nice picture for your memory, from a pictorial point of view the picture is quite busy. The distant figure pulls you into the pic but the
            horizontal wooden rails prevents you from getting there. Also from the rules of the great and wise, never leave a space on the side of a tree. Yes
            I know, but it's one of those rules. Get the tree to really hold you into the pic and not let the eye wonder past. I hope you do not mind the thoughts. All meant in a positive and constructive way. The Winter colour is very good, it may make a better mono. I just like old fashioned black and white. lol
            Thank you for your comment, Treff: I accept any kind of comments and I like to meet different opinions from mine. This is one of those cases. I honestly didn't know the rule of the tree ... and the composition is deliberately chosen.
            The figure in the distance is in the mist and indistinguishable and I couldn't focus on that certainly.
            I liked include the fences in the picture and from where I shot , I did not have much choice. Anyway thanks!
            Anna

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
              Hi Anna,
              I do like the ethereal colours of the mist in the trees and the almost purpley branches but it is surprising what a visual barrier to the eye the two front fences are. Unfortunately, I don't think you've got enough of a picture to crop beyond this foreground to focus in on the distant figure and the wood behind which is a pity.

Bo
              Thank you very much for your point of view, Bo.
              The problem is that ... I wanted exactly this result and I understand that it cannot please everyone. Patience, thanks anyway!
              Anna

Comment

Originally posted by paulr5604 View Post
                I like the photo however I think it would be stronger if the fence/rails in foreground weren't there or there was a route through to the field in line with the gap in the distance
                Thank you Paul for your opinion !
                Anna

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                  do agree with comments above - its nearly there
                  Thank you Ian for your comment !
                  Anna

Comment

The fences... a regular structure made of woodland produce that contrasts with the randomness of the natural woodland, I like that.

There are more fences in the distance that are inviting one to enter the wood on the other side of the grassy clearing.

Just a quick zig zag left and right round the fences and one is in the clearing... does one go straight over into the wood or may be walk left or right in the clearing?
                    Its a picture that evokes memories of walking in woodland and/or gets the imagination working.

If I was to be a bit fussy about composition I would like to have seen the bottom of the first fence and maybe moved the camera position a couple of paces to the left but with trees around one can't always get the location and composition one wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyelines View Post
                      The fences... a regular structure made of woodland produce that contrasts with the randomness of the natural woodland, I like that.

There are more fences in the distance that are inviting one to enter the wood on the other side of the grassy clearing.

Just a quick zig zag left and right round the fences and one is in the clearing... does one go straight over into the wood or may be walk left or right in the clearing?
                      Its a picture that evokes memories of walking in woodland and/or gets the imagination working.

If I was to be a bit fussy about composition I would like to have seen the bottom of the first fence and maybe moved the camera position a couple of paces to the left but with trees around one can't always get the location and composition one wants.
                      The two fences, even if they seem two obstacles, delimit a nice path that crosses to the forest and a river runs under them.
                      From where I took this photo I could see the entry in the woods and I liked the atmosphere ... but I admit that the composition is very risky and not much common.
                      Thanks so much for your comment Skyelines !!
                      Anna

Comment

Anna, I like it as it is. I like the fact that the fence demarcates between the gloom of the wood that you (and we) are in, and the brighter slice of greenery, before the gloom on the other side, which is a nice balance. The figure is just visible enough.
                        Canon EOS 7D
                        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Alex, thank you for your opinion !!
                          Anna

Comment

I like the atmosphere To This Nancy but the fence keeps attracting my attention which I'm not sure about,I do like the mist and the figure in the background

Comment

Originally posted by Dave s View Post
                              I like the atmosphere To This Nancy but the fence keeps attracting my attention which I'm not sure about,I do like the mist and the figure in the background
                              Thanks a lot for your comment, Dave !!
                              Anna

Comment

Working...
                              X