Derelict Fishing Boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Derelict Fishing Boats

Taken on a day (at Dungeness ) when there was a thick bank of sea fog in the background.
    James

Fishing Boats psd by jboardmanwoodend, on Flickr
    James Boardman Woodend
    www.jameswoodend.com

Re: Derelict Fishing Boats

Really, really nice

The main problem I have is that I'm finding it very hard to not hitch up a trailer and drive down there on a rescue mission. I've already restored a vintage carvel planked boat of similar size and it was a true labour of love and a joy to use (none of this modern plastic stuff for me!) That was sold on and I have a hankering after another although my dear, long suffering wife may not share my enthusiasm and the hole in its the side suggests it needs more than a lick of paint

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Cheers John
      I'm not too happy with the image - it lacks impact - must look through the other ones I took as see if any leap of the monitor for me
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
        Cheers John
        I'm not too happy with the image - it lacks impact - must look through the other ones I took as see if any leap of the monitor for me
        James
        I don't like posting negative comments especially to such a talented photographer, but as you said it, I agree its not working for me.. I'm not even sure doing anything with processing will pull anything from this shot, the composition just isn't working

sorry --- we all have off days
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I agree with you Tigger - the composition is rotten and I'm not at all sure about the processing either. It shows you what we can all do when we get carried away with the location but don't put our photographers brain in gear !
          I class it as a photo snap that may be of interest to someone thinking of going down there.
          James
          James Boardman Woodend
          www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I've certainly got more of an emotional attachment to old wooden boats and that will influence my judgement. Perhaps it could have been arranged in a more artistic manner to add drama to the composition but I still like it as it is

Cheers,
            John

Comment

Really, really nice

The main problem I have is that I'm finding it very hard to not hitch up a trailer and drive down there on a rescue mission. I've already restored a vintage carvel planked boat of similar size and it was a true labour of love and a joy to use (none of this modern plastic stuff for me!) That was sold on and I have a hankering after another although my dear, long suffering wife may not share my enthusiasm and the hole in its the side suggests it needs more than a lick of paint

Cheers,
              John
              Is that not a spares source behind it? ;)
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                Is that not a spares source behind it? ;)
                It's BOGOF week at the Dungeness Boat Park

Cheers,
                John

Comment

I truly admire you posting this James. Its clearly not up to your usual stunning standards but is the sort of thing many of us would have come away with! The wide angle used has put quite a curve on the hull which is what I noticed. I find that difficult to 'deal' with as it distorts the way I look at the image.
                  As you say though it looks an interesting place to explore
                  Andrew

Comment

It is a good photo James. Not one of your best, but I do like the processing you did on the image.

Tom

Comment

Might not be your best, but it's definitely a good location.
                      Andy
                      Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                        Might not be your best, but it's definitely a good location.
                        It's certainly a place I want to hsve a good nose around
                        Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Originally posted by Parsen66 View Post
                          It's certainly a place I want to hsve a good nose around
                          I would try to avoid weekends Alan, especially Sunday's, or you'll be spending ages cloning other photographers and artists out of your shots.

John

Comment

I went on a Monday morning and another visit on a Friday morning. Both time spent about two hours there. Never saw another person let alone a photographer.
                            James
                            James Boardman Woodend
                            www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Looks like you have found a marine graveyard James, but as others have mentioned the composition isn't working. For me the vehicles on the skyline add to the confusion. It's a difficult scene to decipher from this image.
                              Thinking aloud I just wonder if you had set up at the bow of the near vessel to encompass both of the hulks in shot i.e. looking to the right of this image if that makes sense.
                              Peter

Feel free to browse my
                              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Working...
                              X