Californian sunset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Californian sunset

This is a picture of a sunset in California i took, 18 - 55mm f/3.5 - 5.6 111 lens, Using Landscape mode, shutter speed - 1/200, Aperture - 10.0, ISO - 100, focal length 55mm - I haven't touched the picture only to add my name. Please feel free to comment Sunset.jpg

Amanda

Re: Californian sunset

Hi Amanda, I hope you don't mind the following, its all intended as helpful and not damning in anyway.....I'd be mortified if my comments caused any offence as its all intended to be constructive and helpful

it could be improved with some more post processing - i.e. raise the shadows, increase the Vibrance to bring out the colour.
    i'm not sure you can do much about the blown area where the sun is positioned except to perhaps avoiding the sun in the frame when shooting. Compositionally I'd try to avoid including the car on the right which has its front just out of frame and the top of the head at bottom left....which can be cropped out fairly easily. I'd recommend taking several frames in situations like this using manual mode f11 is good maybe vary shutter from 1/50 through to 1/1000 to see what you get.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

HI Amanda

Firstly I would echo Brian's first paragraph above!

I take it that it was the sunset that attracted you to the shot rather than the car park? If so then try to select a foreground with a simpler, distinctive shape since this will be dark or silhouetted

It looks as if you've pointed the camera at the scene using evaluative metering and as a result the camera has taken the middle path through the two extremes of light and no-light. Time to show it who's boss. Use AE lock to focus on the sky or underexpose using the exposure compensation button. Take a selection of shots and check your histogram, with highlight alert activated, as you go to show if the shot is how you want it.

You might consider using the cloudy or shade setting rather than Auto WhiteBalance as this will boost your colours.

Of course you can improve matters in post processing along the lines that Brian is suggesting- and 99% of us do so- but I believe that trying to get it right at the time will boost your skills and understanding of what the camera can and cannot do.
      Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

I would just like to say be careful when taking pictures of the sun as it can damage your eyes.
        Emyr

Emyr

Comment

Working...
        X