Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you use a tripod for landscapes?

Yes & No.
    A friend of mine ( David Clapp - a very talented pro landscape photographer) insisted I used a tripod for all my landscape shots. He reasoned that if you wanted to move from taking 'snaps' to a more considered approach & to understand how the key elements of an image are arranged in terms of position, angle, use of different focal length, filters etc the I needed to slow down, switch the camera onto live view, place it on a good tripod and most importantly consider how these various elements are ( or are not) affecting the image.
    His method worked ( for me) and as I took my time to look at the possible outcome I learnt to see the landscape in a new way.
    Once you have learnt this slower way of considering the elements that make up a possible shot and how various elements help or detract you can eventually put the tripod away.
    I now only use a tripod if I want to shoot at a low shutter speed ( eg twilight, low ISO etc) but if the light allows it a hand held shot - but still one that has been thought out and pre planned.
    Hope that helps
    James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    James Boardman Woodend
    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Seems to be a trend with tripod usage. My method is much same as James and has been since shooting with film.

Whether handheld or on a tripod I adopt same method so time/planning takes similar amount of time. If I'm out walking then I won't take a tripod. Again like James tripod main use is for longer exposure work.

Not saying I'm fantastic at shooting landscapes but at least I enjoy trying.
      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Yes if going out to take proper landscapes....for accurate focus using Live-view and to control DoF properly and to use filters.
        However this is a rare occurrence for me....most of my landscapes are casual shots when travelling and none of the above then applies.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Yes, usually always a tripod for landscapes. I have, like others, got by without one, but that's usually more for record shots of locations I'd like to go back to.

However, I see no problem with hand holding a shot if the conditions allow the use of a "reasonable" shutter speed and appropriate aperture, with not too high an ISO.
          Regards
          Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
          7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
          24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

They are a faff to carry round, so I generally don't.

However, there are times when they are essential - remote-controlled wildlife shooting - long exposure (think Northern lights, fireworks or waiting for a lightning strike etc.) - focus stacks - "product" type photos.

I find for most HDR or "to be stitched" panorama shots, hand held is OK.
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

I rarely use one. Mainly because of the weight and general nuisance factor. I only use one when I decide very purposefully that I am looking for a twilight/night shot and want a slow shutter speed. I am not overly fazed by using my 5Diii at ISO6400, although I recognise that a lower ISO can produce better results.
              Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

My preference would be to always use a tripod. That said, a lot of my shots are taken on daily dog walks with my wife so often I go handheld simply for the practicality of it and wedded bliss.
                If I'm out on my own then they are usually on a tripod.
                TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

I only use a tripod if light or shutter speed is an issue
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Mostly handheld but having recently invested in a cheap carbon travel tripod I find I take it out with me more and more. If I only had my pucker tripod I probably wouldn't bother unless doing LE or shooting in low light
                    Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Mostly no, because landscapes are mostly something I do on holiday when I only have a lightweight travel tripod with me and I mostly don't take it out with me for the day unless I know I'm planning to use it.

It's more likely to be used if the place I'm staying has worthwhile subjects in which case I'll make a special outing to do it properly.
                      Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Sometimes, but rarely.

IS is good enough in most cases, but long exposure shots (milky water etc.), or tricky 'down at ground level' shots need a tripod.

Even a good quality CF tripod weighs a bit, so I sometimes just take a travel tripod (Manfrotto BeFree), which is much lighter.
                        flickr
                        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Many thanks for all the feedback.

We plan to publish a representative selection of your views in the January-March 2017 issue of EOS magazine.
                          Robert
                          robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I always use a tripod for absolute sharpness.
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/23748789@N02/

Comment

If I'm going out specifically for a landscape I will take my tripod. Especially for slow exposures and possibly waiting for change in events
                              Alun

Comment

Working...
                              X