Ashridge escarpment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ashridge escarpment

So this is the fifth walk in my book, but the second that we have done (just in case you thought you had nodded off and missed the other three...)

Autumnal colour by Richard Anderson, on Flickr

The next two were tripod mounted 30 second jobs as the dark was descending (we were ascending) and I was determined to use the tripod having carried it for a few hours!

The path to anywhere by Richard Anderson, on Flickr

And round the corner... by Richard Anderson, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Richard
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Re: Ashridge escarpment

love that first shot and the processing you've used -
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Beautifully composed as always Richard but I'm not convinced shortening the DoF by using f2.8 in the first was for the best which is a shame as the path leading onwards is excellent and would otherwise be my favourite. The other two have a far more appealing DoF with sharp focus throughout (although that fingerpost, while unavoidable, does seem incongruous man-made intrusion in all that natural splendour).

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
        love that first shot and the processing you've used -
        Thanks Ian. Immediately after posting them I started to think I should give the other two a bit more of a going over!

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
          Beautifully composed as always Richard but I'm not convinced shortening the DoF by using f2.8 in the first was for the best which is a shame as the path leading onwards is excellent and would otherwise be my favourite. The other two have a far more appealing DoF with sharp focus throughout (although that fingerpost, while unavoidable, does seem incongruous man-made intrusion in all that natural splendour).

Cheers,
          John
          Thanks for looking and commenting John. In the first you might have guessed that the light was pretty awful yesterday and I really didn't want to push the ISO too far, so I thought I would focus on where the path disappears and I have really emphasised that in the processing. It also happens to be where the last remaining vibrant green tree was standing. In fact the processing includes reducing the focus in the foreground to emphasise the point. The other two were an experiment in low light shooting - as I say, 30 second exposures at ISO200 with a view to keeping the depth of field big. TBH I probably prefer the first, but as I have just said to Ian, I might have another go at those two, and if I do, I will post them below!

Comment

I have updated the last two a bit, but I am afraid I screwed up, so you may well lose them in the first post - sorry. But anyway, here are the reworked versions of the 30 second exposures:

The path to anywhere by Richard Anderson, on Flickr

Around the corner... by Richard Anderson, on Flickr

Comments always welcome!

Thanks

Richard

Comment

A good set Richard. For me the original third is my fav, prefer it darker than in your second edit of that shot
              Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Good set Richard, love the 1st one

Comment

Great set, love the first and the 3rd is imho better for the extra attention. I think 2 would be better without the signpost.
                  TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

A beautiful set of images Richard

Tom

Comment

Like the rework of "Around the corner", having spent quite a lot of my working life in forests and woods the stronger contrast between light and shadow feels right.

Comment

Thanks guys for looking and commenting. I thought about cloning out the signpost, but decided against - I thought it was nice the way it was pointing in every direction!

Originally posted by Skyelines View Post
                        Like the rework of "Around the corner", having spent quite a lot of my working life in forests and woods the stronger contrast between light and shadow feels right.
                        Thanks for that comment. Someone asked me on FB if this was really a representation of the colours in what he described as the "forests". I said it was now that I had processed the photograph, at least in my mind! So to have proper confirmation is good! Actually the original photograph SOOC was pretty dull and since it was really quite late and needed a 30 second exposure, the contrast wasn't too good either. But I like the way it turned out!

Comment

These images look superb on a big screen. Do you intend to print? I could look at something like these for hours!
                          Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Out of the last pair my favourite is the second one - excellent work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                            James Boardman Woodend
                            www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

A beautiful set....I think I like the first one most.
                              I'm always wary of slow shutter speeds never mind long exposures as the branches keep swaying in the breeze......I guess there's not much breeze in that shaded spot.
                              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                              X