Cottage by Dargan Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cottage by Dargan Mountain

We had been out for a walk in the hills in an area which was new to us. As we came down off the rough track we saw this unoccupied but beautifully maintained cottage through the tunnel formed by the trees. What caught my eye was the contrast between the snowy whiteness of the cottage walls and the darkness of the approach. I tried it first with the 18/55 lens but was very dissatisfied with the result so went back next day with the 55/250 lens and was lucky to have the same lighting conditions.

What I wonder is, should I have got more detail in the dark tree trunks and foliage? If so, how could I have achieved this without losing the contrast which had first attracted me?
    Attached Files
    Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Re: Cottage by Dargan Mountain

Hello Garrett

I rather like this shot and can see why it appealed to you, even more so to have a second attempt. To me it says "welcome home" after a long journey.

Did you take the shot in RAW? If so, you can lighten the shadows in DPP. Do it gently, or you will lose the contrast that you originally liked.

It it's a Jpeg, you will have to deal with it in a similar way in Photoshop, or Elements.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin. This is a jpg, taken before I, with a lot of help on the forum, finally worked out how to order the camera to take RAW photos! I could edit it in ACDSee Photo Pro but I recently deleted that in order to concentrate on using DPP with the EOS 450D which I acquired only six or so months ago. I think I'll stick with DPP and go back some fine day and shoot it in RAW.
      Garrett

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

Good for you Garrett.

I have gone back to shots maybe half a dozen times to finally get the shot how I really wanted it, so I applaud your persistence.

Bright hazy sunshine may diffuse and lighten the shadows, without adversely affecting the contrast too much.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

I'll remember that tip!
          Garrett

Comment

Originally posted by ax2010@eircom.net View Post
            I'll remember that tip!
            Loads more available on here. Come up with a problem and at least one of us will have an answer.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Working...
            X