Night Shots At Caerphilly Castle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night Shots At Caerphilly Castle

There was a pleasant sunset around the castle, 1st real attempt at any night shots, had the camera balancing on a bin, a wall etc for the longer exposures. Feedback and advice welcomed

Canon 500d 18-135mm IS kit lens
    Last edited by Gardino; 02-11-2010, 20:40.

Re: Night Shots At Caerphilly Castle

Hi Gardino,
    These, especially #1 and #2, are my type of shot. I love shooting at this time of day, the mixture of artificial light, daylight and reflections create some great images. For a first attempt you have obviously picked a great location, a wonderful sky and the right time of day. If I were to offer advice it would be to go back at the same time of day, but take a tripod and hotshoe spirit level with you. So far as #1 is concerned (my favourite), it needs to be straight (i.e. camera level) and, if possible, we need to see all the reflections. Another piece of advice I would offer is to keep shooting as the light levels drop. As the balance between the artificial light and natural light evens out, and shutter speeds lengthen, you should be able to pick out more detail in the dark shadow areas. It might also be helpful to others if you were able to give an indication of shutter speed, aperture and ISO etc.
    All in all a great first attempt and well worth a return visit, if possible.
    Alan

Comment

Thanks for the reply and the advice Alan, much appreciated, I will certainly take on board your comments. I have since taking these shots aquired a tripod so I will not need to balance the camera on a wall or a bin as was the case with these. Information on the shots are: -
      1. F6.3 4sec Exp, ISO 100, with -0.7 Exp comp
      2.F6.3 10sec Exp, ISO 100, -1 Exp comp
      3.F11 1/8th Exp, ISO 100, -1 Exp comp
      Regards
      Ian

Comment

Very nice shots. I remember Caerphilly castle very well, having lived in Cardiff for a little over 25 years!!! Keep up the good work. Living in Speyside, do you get a discount on all the Speyside Malt whisky? if so I will be interested!!!!!!
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Hi Gardino,

3 great shots, my favourite is #1 I like the colours and reflections. As Alan has said it is a shame that you did not manage to get all the reflections as this would have been magical. 2 suggestions, firstly if you have some post processing software you may well be able to correct the slight horizontzl / vertical alignment. Alan has suggested using a hotshoe level, this is great but if you don't have one or a spirit level on the tripod head you can try to use the focus spots in the viewfinder as a guide and if you need to corect the level of the horizon or verticals you can do this in post processing. I normally use the focus points to set my image square in the viewfinder and normally get pretty good results.

Comment

Balanced on a bin? I really applaud that you are going to get your shots, despite any lack of equipment.

I like #1 and #2, with #1 being my favourite. A fabulous sky in #3, but the foreground is a bit cluttered and messy. Imagine that sky in #1? Where the sunset is just out of sight on the right, it is possible that early/mid December, the sunset will be directly behind the Castle. It would be worth keeping an eye on that for a return visit. It has already been mentioned that going back again and including more of the reflection could help the shot. I sometimes end up going back to a place 3 or 4 times before I get everything how I want it, but the end results are usually worth the effort.

Well done Ian and I hope the new tripod helps.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
              Living in Speyside, do you get a discount on all the Speyside Malt whisky?
              Hello Nathaniel,
              Well, living here on Speyside with over 15 stills within a 5 mile radius of home, it's quite easy to get almost a 'free dram' . . . . just sniff the Highland air. When I'm in my garden and the wind is in the North, I can smell The Macallan ! and when the wind turns into the West, I can smell Aberlour. Even the so called 'Angels Share' can be quite intoxicating. Being a keen amateur photographer, I get asked quite often to take photos for various local groups and events. Of course I never ask for payment, but guess what turns up on my doorstep after an event ? Yes . . . you're right ! A couple of bottles of Speyside's finest !

Alan.
              Last edited by allachie9; 03-11-2010, 14:24. Reason: typo.

Comment

Thanks very much for the comments and encouragement, I will definitly go back to that spot (about a mile from the house) when the light is correct and try to compose both a square horizon and get the full reflection of the castle. Colin, I never even thought about the fact that the sunset will take place at a different angle depending on the time of year, Muscat and Alan, really appreciate the idea of using the focus points to level the horizon (so simple but effective) and the use of a full reflection to add impact and balance to the shot and Nathaniel hope you aquire your discounted Scotch.
                Ian

Comment

Working...
                X