Clear All

York Minster- Sat 13th Nov

All C&C welcome.

(i) A sign as I entered the vicinity of York Minster

(ii) York Minster

(iii) One of the York Minster towers

(iv) Within York Minster

(v) Wider view within the Cathedral

Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: York Minster- Sat 13th Nov

Cathedrals and Churches are very photogenic aren't they?
    I love the irony of the first picture.
    the trouble with cathedrals for me is that I find it hard to take the whole scene as I don't always want people in them. as I want the building o be the star.
    on the outside, I try to take isolated parts of the architecture if I can't get the whole thing, or perhaps a pano shot.
    No 4, I would have gone nearer to the archway, frame the shot using the arch as a"frame" and focus over the heads of the visitors to miss them altogether. same in 5 really. I just think the people are a bit of a distraction from what is some wonderful architecture.
    just my thoughts
    David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
    All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

I fully agree with your comments David. It is a very difficult task. Ideally I would have liked the cathedral to my self, my camera,tripod etc, but this is always wishful thinking. I thought of going far away to avoid the dreaded converging verticals with wide angle lenses but there was no clear sight of the cathedral. The next time I intend taking a proper wide angle shot and then straigten the lines via PS- the only way out for me!!!!!!! I think people will aways be around such magnificent buildings.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Hi Nathaniel;

York Minster is huge; there's no way we mere mortals are ever going to get a clear shot of the whole of the facade, and, as you rightly say, there will always be way too many people there to get a 'clear' shot, although that's not always neccessary...

Anyhow, your shot #3 (concentrating on the tower detail) is by far and away the best IMO. It would benefit from the merest clockwise rotation to centre and straighten the leading line; but other than that, well done. Seems your photography is coming on in leaps & bounds! As far as converging verticals is concerned; I don't worry too much about large buildings like this; your natural sight will see tall towers converge and parallel lines merge!.

And also well done for the internal shots... I venture to suggest that just a year ago, you wouldn't have dreamt of playing with the settings as you have... ISO800 indeed
        I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
        Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Quite right CF and thanks for your comments. I would never have attempted these shots before & am grateful for all the advice and C&C from members. Just one point I would like to know. I have tried to keep the people on a good horizontal line,(as natural as possible) but the interior of the church looks a bit askew. why?

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
            Just one point I would like to know. I have tried to keep the people on a good horizontal line,(as natural as possible) but the interior of the church looks a bit askew. why?
            It's an optical illusion.

In the last image the people are on the tilt as well! (And I promise I have NOT been on the bottle at this hour of the day... ) The first interior shot is better, but since you're off the centre-line, it still gives an illusion of bias towards the right...

That raises the point of 'focus of attention'... Since your 'focus' was to be the interior of the church/minster, the people should have been a secondary consideration!

Cheers...
            Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Hi Nathaniel
              Agree with CF your image of the tower is the best,you've got some good detail in the stone and the exposure is spot on.Well done.

Paul
              EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
              Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Well done Nathaniel. You'll be wanting the 17mm TS-E on a 5D2 next ;-)

Comment

(i) A sign as I entered the vicinity of York Minster...
                  I'm assuming that communion wine has a exemption

Comment

Paul,George and CF, many thanks for all your encouragement. I am getting somewhere at last.

Paul as you are in Beverley and I will attach another photo of the Bishop Martyn with better facial front.

George, I keep on trying. Quite a lot to learn with digital cameras. I am hopeless at IT and all that computer stuff. I used to get round this problem when the children were living with us but they have flown the "nest" and I am perhaps "paying the price" now. I don't think I can ever afford the T&S lens although it will solve many of my problems. UK has such a fine archtectural heritage(so does Europe as a whole) and it is a pity that many people don't appreciate them.

CF, communion wine is certainly EXEMPT from the COUNCIL'S restrictions!!!! An interesting point for you to think of is when the celebrant MISCALCULATES the quantity of fine to be blessed and served- it is a rule that the "balance " should be consumed before the service ends(unless kept for home visits,hospital visits etc), and I know of a few "assistants" who had to finish off quite a lot of the BLESSED WINE, and wern't they "tipsy"???. An experienced celebrant has to estimate how many "sips" per person in the congregation & have that quantity blessed.

I also find that on my computer the people are all standing as they should -photo No #5- no tilt. I now agree that the building should have come first and not the people. Point taken for future use.
                    Last edited by Nathaniel; 16-11-2010, 15:15.

Comment

I also find that on my computer the people are all standing as they should -photo No #5- no tilt...
                      Perhaps your head's at an angle ...

Here's the image straightened...

People rarely stand bolt upright, so it's difficult to use them as a guide to what is or isn't straight & level... How does that look?

And here it is with a bit of perspective correction applied; just as an example...

Last edited by Canon-Fodder!; 16-11-2010, 15:44.

Comment

Magnificient shot CF. Exactly as I would have liked it to be. I call it computer/technical wizardry!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
                          Magnificient shot CF. Exactly as I would have liked it to be. I call it computer/technical wizardry!!!
                          Harry Potter is not gonna lose any sleep over me! No real wizadry there... Nothing you can't do in DPP in just a couple of seconds...

Comment

Working...
                          X