Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the ancient walls

Eos 50D + Canon EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM @ 44 mm

Another photo of Lake Como recovered from the ruins of an ancient castle in the sunset. In the background the city of Lecco, and just beyond the Swiss mountains.
    Anna

Re: From the ancient walls

Lovely. Completely gorgeous image, wouldn't be out of place on a really good calendar.
    Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Wonderful light, super composition, that open gate just invites you to walk to the town in the distance.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

I want to move to Italy!
        David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
        All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Bravo, cue huge round of applause: I'd be proud to have taken that.

Derek

Comment

excellent work

Comment

I agree with all the other comments above, lovely image and a lovely location.
              Graham

Comment

All I can do is repeat the comments above.... stunning...
                I have been considering trading my 17-85 IS USM in for the 24-105L but having seen this image I may have second thoughts.

David
                David

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                  All I can do is repeat the comments above.... stunning...
                  I have been considering trading my 17-85 IS USM in for the 24-105L but having seen this image I may have second thoughts.

David
                  I haven't tried that lens, but I am now very happy with the 15-85 EF-S..presumably a bit more width than the 17-85?

Derek

Comment

Derek,
                    Have a look at this for a comparison of the 15-85 and the 17-85. http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/article...gma_18-125.htm

I have the Sigma 10-20 as well so am well covered at the wide end

David
                    David

Comment

I dont believe the 24-105 is a direct replacement for the 15-85 particularly on a crop. There is overlap but the lens probably have different uses. One major difference is that the 24-105 is F4 throughout.

This particlular picture would have been also possible with the nifty fifty or a 17-55 f2.8 or others.

I would be inclined to choose a lens not for the mid range - but to consider the extremes ie do you need the 15 or do you want more than the 85, do you want more light than f4-5.6. Answers to those questions wlll get you closer to the answer
                      ef-r

Comment

Many happy thanks all for comments, much appreciated !
                        Thanks a lot Woolley, Colin, Pinkeez, Derek, kamakazi, Graham, David, briansquibb !!!

The 17-85 isn't much considered in fact...and I also wanted to get rid too. Then I thought about it that has the merit of being light, handy, has the presence of the stabilizer, it has speed of focusing and it's a all-around lens. So...I continued to use it. The most obvious flaw is the low light in my opinion and the shots have too much purple fringing. I also thought the Canon 24-70 L f/2.8 ...mah....
                        I will still like to have more opinions from you and so, I'll show you other shots I made with the 17-85. Greetings to you all !!
                        Anna

Comment

Another stunner Nancy, brilliant composition would love to have this shot in my portfolio.

Ray

Comment

Thank you very much, Ray !!!
                            Anna

Comment

Great shot of a stunning location

Comment

Working...
                              X