Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying out a polariser .... still practicing :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying out a polariser .... still practicing :)

I am still getting to grips with my 7D, and taking some practice shots, playing with settings etc...so, having purchased a Kood polariser I decided to go out the front of the house to compare shots, with and without.... i am obsessed with getting a nice blue sky, so I thought this would help..... I think it has...

Below are two images, one with, one without... picture with seems to look better to me (novice talking ;) ) bear in mind I appreciate that these filters are designed to work with the sun at right angles.... I was standing in the shade.....

The post filter is darker..... but both are "as shot" no work done in Photoshop Elements

Pre Filter

Pre Filter by Stuart_Tunstall, on Flickr

Post Filter

Post Filter by Stuart_Tunstall, on Flickr

Keep practising :)

Stuart
    Stuart Tunstall
    York - UK

- Canon EOS 7D - Tamron 18 - 270mm f3.5 - 6.3 Di II VC - Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM - Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - Canon Speedlight 580EX II - Canon Timer Remote Control TC 80N3 - Giottos GTMTL9361B with MH5001 Head - Lowpro 300AW Backpack - Photoshop CC - Lightroom CC - Aurora HDR 2018 - Photolemur 3 - Plus a few other bits -

Re: Trying out a polariser .... still practicing :)

They do make a difference don't they Stuart. Definitely a nice blue sky!
    Lovely looking location you have there, very photogenic
    David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
    All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkeez View Post
      They do make a difference don't they Stuart. Definitely a nice blue sky!
      Lovely looking location you have there, very photogenic
      I'm another novice, very interested in the result as I'm also wanting to improve, fed up with blown away sky !

Graham
      Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

Comment

For blown skies, an ND Grad filter is what you need.
        Polarizers have to be at 90 degrees to the sun to be effective

Mike
        www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

With a rotating filter it can be turned to be effective

One of the problems at this time of year is the overcast day when it is extremely difficult to lose the blown out sky look. I had this last weekend when the sky was just a uniform grey - about the same as the wb grey.

ND grads are not the answer to everything - they only really work with a reasonably straight line. An ND grad would have spoilt your test picture as it would have dulled the tree.

Look at my picture of the Chesil Beach which was taken with a polariser.
          Last edited by briansquibb; 09-06-2011, 06:46.
          ef-r

Comment

I found many of my blue sky problems wrre caused by not being aware where the sun is and photographing landmarks etc despite of where the sun is.
            It's funny because I've read the advice on packs of film (re sun postion) loads of times, and disregarded it as 'too patronisingly obvious' :-)

I need to go to places when the light is good, that may well be at an inconvient time, for me that's the challenge of landscape work, you can't schedule it and nothing is guaranteed. :-)

Trev
            Last edited by Trevoreast; 09-06-2011, 11:02.

Comment

Polairzer won't stop a blown sky if there's a big difference in light between it and the subject, you do need an ND for that (subject to Brian's caveat about where the line is). What it will do is darken the sky at some angles, give you lovely clearly defined clouds and saturate colours by removing reflections (scattered light). That last is particularly effective with trees in leaf and light coloured buildings which pick up definition and strengthen colour in a natural looking way.
              Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

All very interesting advice! #2 has turned out well - I'd just lighten up the foreground a bit in pp.
                Dio

Comment

Thanks for the comments and advice... Practice...Get good advice from here;) .... Practice.... Learn :)

More images will follow.....

Stuart
                  Stuart Tunstall
                  York - UK

- Canon EOS 7D - Tamron 18 - 270mm f3.5 - 6.3 Di II VC - Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM - Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - Canon Speedlight 580EX II - Canon Timer Remote Control TC 80N3 - Giottos GTMTL9361B with MH5001 Head - Lowpro 300AW Backpack - Photoshop CC - Lightroom CC - Aurora HDR 2018 - Photolemur 3 - Plus a few other bits -

Comment

If all else fails - use HDR
                    ef-r

Comment

Re Blown skies - I'm no expert, but I usually adjust the exposure compensation down by a stop, and make sure I know how my camera is averaging the light measurement. I always shoot raw and that way can play with the levels in Camera Raw post shoot. If that fails, because I have slightly under exposed the shot, I can layer two versions in CS and use a gradient filter to lighten the forground and leave the skies with the contrast they need. I'm usually pleased with the results.

Hope this helps.
                      Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
                      EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Working...
                      X