A trip through Skye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A trip through Skye

Having spent some time on the Outer Hebrides our journey home started with a ferry journey from Lochmaddy on North Uist to Uig on Skye. Our next stop would be in Fort William so we took time to grab a couple of images as we travelled through Skye.

The low cloud attracted me to this set, taken from a view point on the road between Uig and Portree.

As always your thoughts and comments welcome.

1. This image is IMO sadly lacking as it doesn't show what I recall of the clouds rolling across the tops.

2. A slightly different composition to try and use the stream as a leading line

3. The ambulance gave me a bit of a start, as I was concentrating on what I could see through the viewfinder and they set all of their sirens and lights going just as they past me.

4 Next stop the well known and often photographed location.

5. I don't believe this statue was in place the last time we were on Skye. It commemorates a professional climbing guide and one of his climbing clients, they remained friends and are buried in the same graveyard.

Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Another great set Peter - what is the Statue?
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
      Another great set Peter - what is the Statue?
      Trev, have a look at the Old Bridge image, you should be able to make out the statue above the LHS of the left arch.
      Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Terrific set Peter, really shows the atmosphere of Skye, bet you couldn’t get such traffic free shots in a couple of months time.

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post

Trev, have a look at the Old Bridge image, you should be able to make out the statue above the LHS of the left arch.
          Thanks Peter, I should have been more awake and read your caption for the picture.
          Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post

Thanks Peter, I should have been more awake and read your caption for the picture.
            Trev the subjects of the statue are:-
            Seated John Mackenzie a Professional Mountain Guide
            Standing Professor Norman Collie one of John's climbing clients.
            Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

You've definitely captured the essence of Skye.

I share the frustration in not quite getting the clouds as you saw them, it happens to me a lot. It seems there are some situations where whatever I try in Lightroom with the graduated filter and adjustments I can't get the separation of cloud detail that the eye records.
              I think this may be a consequence of shooting towards the sun behind the clouds and all the camera records is a gradation of shadows and there isn't enough separation of light and dark in the cloud for the software to deal with

Comment

What a great set Peter, like the menacing and dramatic clouds.
                7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Super set!
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

A great set with some very dramatic light and scenery.

Can't say they the clouds in number 1 seem lacking anything to me but you could try mono - I find it's easier to get more oomph into cloud formations in mono than in colour.
                    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I’ve come back to these several times…all I can think as an option is to use a grad filter on the sky and adjust the colour temperature….and secondly apply a few elongated radial filters on the lighter sections of foreground and increase the filter brightness…..just my thoughts …this might not recreate the reality of what you experienced but might contribute towards recovering the drama.
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Excellent set of photos!

Comment

A fine set of images Peter.

If I am trying to emphasise clouds, I usually try the "Sky" select in LR and then add some dehaze to the selection.

I have taken the liberty of copying your first image (if this is bothersome to you, let me know and I will delete this post forthwith and toute de suite) and applying that method. I suspect the process works better with a RAW file, but it has produced a change. I may well have gone a bit OTT with the dehaze to illustrate the effect.

Peter Stockton test.jpg
                          John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
                            A fine set of images Peter.

If I am trying to emphasise clouds, I usually try the "Sky" select in LR and then add some dehaze to the selection.

I have taken the liberty of copying your first image (if this is bothersome to you, let me know and I will delete this post forthwith and toute de suite) and applying that method. I suspect the process works better with a RAW file, but it has produced a change. I may well have gone a bit OTT with the dehaze to illustrate the effect.

Peter Stockton test.jpg
                            I'll have to give that method a try John, thanks for the tip
                            Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Lovely set, spectacular scenery
                              Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Working...
                              X