• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mere

Hi, I am still trying to improve, comments please. Av22 Tv1/60
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: The Mere

The image size makes it difficult to see how good the IQ is; but an immediate observation is that there is no need for f/22 in these circumstances. Generally the higher the f/ number, the less IQ you will get. Better to shoot at f/11 & 1/250 or f/8 & 1/500 for better IQ. Also helps avoid camera-shake at lower Tv values...

Take a variety of shots using differing settings, and you will soon find the "sweet-spot" of your lens... it's usually in the f/8-f/11 range.

A good book to learn the basics here is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. [Click on link]

Try to understand the whole relationship between ISO, Av & Tv. ALL are required to establish an exposure value, and changing one will affect at least one of the others...
    Last edited by Canon-Fodder!; 21-09-2009, 07:29. Reason: "Improved" response - hopefully!
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Thanks Canon-Fodder,
      I will try what you have suggested.
      I am a 70 year old trying to take better photos than just snapshots.
      Thanks again,

Comment

Not a bad attempt at all. If you chose f22 because you wanted the grass foreground in focus, then you've done well. Even if you have a steady hand, 1/60s can be a bit risky. Do you use a tripod? Even though they are a hassle, they do slow you down and make you think about you shot a bit more – it's often a good idea to use one.

Most good landscape photographers will tell you that the best light is early morning or late evening. If you don't already, try varying the time of day you take pictures and I'm sure you'll soon agree with them.

I don't fully agree with f22 not being a good aperture to use. True, lenses don't perform at their best at their extremes, but shutting a lens right down in my experience has little or no ill effect on image quality. Opening it up to max aperture on the other hand, I do notice some degradation especially if it is a zoom lens at and I am using it at either end of it's zoom range.

One sure way to improve is to practice. It's a great hobby and I hope you get heaps of enjoyment from it and that you post lots more photos here for us to see.
        Last edited by Dave; 20-09-2009, 23:22.
        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimer View Post
          I am a 70 year old trying to take better photos than just snapshots.
          I think you are right to concentrate on that. What I do now is either look through my camera view-finder or my manual (plastic) one, and if I start thinking "this looks like a snapshot" then I don't take the shot but try to recompose it - or I just don't bother. It's easy to fall into a habit of taking snapshots - but not so easy to get out of it. And your age shouldn't really make much difference (as you mentioned it) I'm 57, but feel 120!

Comment

Working...
          X