Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Robert Mapplethorpe inspired

I have 2 books by Mapplethorpe:

Pistils (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pistils-Robe...4227241&sr=1-1) contains some of the most beautiful images of flowers you will see.

Altars (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Altars-Rober...4227338&sr=1-2) contains some incredible portraiture. It does, however, also contain some pretty challenging homo-erotic images, so take care if you're easily offended.

For me, Mapplethorpe is one of the few photographers who were genuinely ground-breaking. There's a lot of his work I don't "like", and much of it doesn't make for easy viewing, but it's hard to ignore his place in the story of photography.
    “If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac.” Larry David
    "Go ahead and play The Blues if it'll make you happy". Homer J. Simpson
    "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
    "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

EOS 5D, 24-105L, 430EXII, G11

Comment

I don't have any of his books, most of mine are by Magnum photographers and Don McCullin, Elliot Erwitt, but i'm getting some Waterstone vouchers for Christmas and fancy some of Sabastio Salgado's work

Comment

I love Erwitt's work - so witty. For my money, he's up there with Robert Doisneau.

McCullin should be a national treasure (if you like his war work, check out Phili Jone Griffiths, if you haven't already). It's also interesting to see DM's more recent landscape work, especially in Somerset - so calm & tranquil. The complete opposite to all this other work.

I don't know much about Salgado, apart from his "famous" images but, again, some challenging work.
        "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
        "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

Comment

Originally posted by BT Bob View Post
          I love Erwitt's work - so witty. For my money, he's up there with Robert Doisneau.

McCullin should be a national treasure (if you like his war work, check out Phili Jone Griffiths, if you haven't already). It's also interesting to see DM's more recent landscape work, especially in Somerset - so calm & tranquil. The complete opposite to all this other work.

I don't know much about Salgado, apart from his "famous" images but, again, some challenging work.

Had Vietnan Inc for quite a few years now but i want Larry Burrows vietnam book

Comment

Originally posted by gsgary View Post
            i want Larry Burrows vietnam book
            Wasn't the photographer in Apocalypse Now allegedly based on Burrows?

PJG had a retrospective exhibition a few years ago at the National Museum & Galleries of Wales in Cardiff, called Dark Odyssey. An amazing experience to see those image "for real" as it were.

I have a signed copy of the catalogue - worth tracking a copy down.

Comment

Ended up getting another Don McCullin book Shaped By War and a book on David Bailey

Comment

Working...
              X