St Paul's Cathedral - PP experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St Paul's Cathedral - PP experiment

I was trying a new approach that I have seen others use successfully elsewhere, and thought I would give it a go... What do you think of this?

St Paul's Cathedral by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

And another one...

Westminster beyond Hungerford Bridge by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and commenting... (favourably or otherwise - genuinely looking for feedback, and I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea!!!)

Richard
    Last edited by rcarca; 04-10-2014, 22:49.
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Re: St Paul's Cathedral - PP experiment

And just one more (for now anyway):

Covent Garden Conversations by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

Richard

Comment

Not for me but the second one is well done and I like the selective focus of the 3rd but not the colorisation. The first one just appears to be all over the place, in particular I don't like the yellow at the top of the building on the right. It's good to try stuff though.
      TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

The 3rd shot is is an interesting approach that concentrates the image on the people; who you've caught in a nice pose. The colourisation seems to add to it IMHO.
        Andrew

Comment

I like the first two thats an interesting look the third isn't working for me - sorry

In fact when I opened my flickr account first thing and saw this image I assumed your WB was way off the mark, glad I came here before commenting
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

The second one I think works really well. The third you've caught some interesting subjects, especially the guys 'I'm not that bothered look'. Did you blur the bottom half in PP?

The first is all a bit too magenta for my liking though.
            Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Been back a few time to look at these images. Over all, I like all of them. Of the set the 2nd is my favorite because the treatment gives it a warm, yet cold/stark look to the image, which for the scene and composition works well.

The 1st image, I like as it reminds me of a page in a old book. and the 3nd image because the effect, gives and almost sculpture look to the three sitting. there. Well done Richard.

Tom

Comment

I'm not sure about number one. I keep looking at it and thinking that it reminds me of something, but it just won't gel.

I like the colouring on number 2. I think its the linear aspect enforced by the bridge cutting across the scene, the colour makes you look beyond the bridge, rather than it becoming a barrier in the image. (If that makes sense)

Also like the blurring in number three. Makes you look at the faces. Concentrating your viewing, which I think would happen, even with out the colouring. Only thing I would add, is on the third image. On the man, remove the blurring from the top of his head, pushing it behind him and the other two on the bench.

any help?
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Els View Post
                  Not for me but the second one is well done and I like the selective focus of the 3rd but not the colorisation. The first one just appears to be all over the place, in particular I don't like the yellow at the top of the building on the right. It's good to try stuff though.
                  Thanks for taking the time to comment Wayne. I knew this would not be everyone's cup of tea! As it happens the yellow on the top of the RH building is one bit that is absolutely genuine: that was where the sun was striking the top of that building as it had begun sinking!

Originally posted by Birdy View Post
                  The 3rd shot is is an interesting approach that concentrates the image on the people; who you've caught in a nice pose. The colourisation seems to add to it IMHO.
                  Thank you Andrew. I was trying to put a twist on what otherwise could be a bit of a boring photograph. Anyway, I have had another slightly less dramatic go which I will post shortly!

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                  I like the first two thats an interesting look the third isn't working for me - sorry

In fact when I opened my flickr account first thing and saw this image I assumed your WB was way off the mark, glad I came here before commenting
                  Ian - I think white balance by now is waaaaaaaaaaay off!

Thanks for commenting one and all!

Comment

Originally posted by Parsen66 View Post
                    The second one I think works really well. The third you've caught some interesting subjects, especially the guys 'I'm not that bothered look'. Did you blur the bottom half in PP?

The first is all a bit too magenta for my liking though.
                    The blur (top and bottom) was done in Photoshop using the Tilt/Shift blur function. I think I probably agree about no 1 being too magenta. I have had another go...

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                    Been back a few time to look at these images. Over all, I like all of them. Of the set the 2nd is my favorite because the treatment gives it a warm, yet cold/stark look to the image, which for the scene and composition works well.

The 1st image, I like as it reminds me of a page in a old book. and the 3nd image because the effect, gives and almost sculpture look to the three sitting. there. Well done Richard.

Tom
                    Thanks Tom. I really appreciate that!

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
                    I'm not sure about number one. I keep looking at it and thinking that it reminds me of something, but it just won't gel.

I like the colouring on number 2. I think its the linear aspect enforced by the bridge cutting across the scene, the colour makes you look beyond the bridge, rather than it becoming a barrier in the image. (If that makes sense)

Also like the blurring in number three. Makes you look at the faces. Concentrating your viewing, which I think would happen, even with out the colouring. Only thing I would add, is on the third image. On the man, remove the blurring from the top of his head, pushing it behind him and the other two on the bench.

any help?
                    Di, that is a lot of help. Personally, I think no 2 is probably my overall favourite, although I have just done one of the Eye which I like (it is on the Flickr link now). I contemplated and re-did that blur on the guy several times, above his head, on his head, time and again. I am still not sure about the exact positioning!

Again, thanks for all your comments and support!

Richard

Comment

St Paul's refreshed and de-magenta-ised:

St Paul's Cathedral take 2 by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

Tired and desaturated:

Conversations in Covent Garden take 2 by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

And one more:

The London Eye by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

Thanks everyone for sticking with this!!!

Best

Richard

Comment

Personally I prefer the tweaked images, the second is better than I first thought.
                        Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Originally posted by Parsen66 View Post
                          Personally I prefer the tweaked images, the second is better than I first thought.
                          agree the second offers a real story - well seen and much better tweaked
                          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I think the second is a cool shot, much better desaturated from the previous. It reminds me of an old etching that's had watercolour wash added to sell it in a frame.
                            The 3rd is a good sunset.
                            The first still doesn't really work for me, interesting comment about the gold btw.
                            TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Hi Richard,

The second set works better for me but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the initial set. It probably says more about me
                              I really like the Eye image with the golden red sky.

Scott
                              Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X