Faversham Parish Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faversham Parish Church

My local camera club had a practical evening at Faversham Parish Church last Wednesday, I used this to try out my new 24-105 lens which I am getting to grips with. Due to work I still haven't had a chance to try it out in daylight but it did perform well at the church.

First shot was taken with my canon 10-22 at 11mm focal length just to get the church into the frame as you can see from the clock it was late in the evening, my intention was to try and get the windows light from the inside rather than the traditional way of taking them with the sun streaming through.

This is one of the windows taken with the 24-105 at 28mm focal length, trees and grave stones prevented me getting further back

Inside the church off camera hand held flash used to push some extra light into the roof, it took 2 of us to do this me at the camera and a friend laying in the choir stalls manually firing the flash al the following images were using the 24-105 lens

The next 2 pictures are of the examples of the carvings under the seats in the choir stall, each seat lifts up and forms a perch seat with detailed hand carvings that date back several hundred years. It was a challenge to get pictures of the detail as a) the seats didn't want to stay in the upright position (I had to hold them up by putting £1 coins in the wooden peg hinges to hold them) and b) the only way to get at the carving was to lay on the floor in the choir stall between the rows of seats

Re: Faversham Parish Church

Hi Muscat

Nice set of shots.
    My favourite is the one inside the church.
    The flash teamwork definitely worked!

DaveH

Comment

Muscat,

Nice set of pics- my favourite is the one inside the church. One question though which you might like to ponder over- why do churches depicts such so called "evil" or horrible looking creatures in your last two pics? They have come out well but this is always a question that puzzles me! I have seen such figures in other churches and cathedrals as well.

Nathaniel
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nathaniel, A great question one of which I did think about as I looked at the underside of about 20 choir seats each with some form of violence or similar, the carvings on the end of the Choir stalls are also of dragons and similar beings, not gargoyles. I have no idea why these things happen other than possibly back in the 12-1400's when many of then were carved it was a way of saying to the people that by going to the church and being able to sit on these creatures they were in some way controlling them and protecting themselves.

Interestingly for the most viloent and evil looking carvings you had to lift the seat to pull up the 'perch' type seat and they are normally hidden from view with the vast nmajority of peiople not knowing of their existence

Comment

All nice shots - really like the interor of the church
          Last edited by briansquibb; 10-04-2011, 12:11.
          ef-r

Comment

Muscat,

It's great that you too have a question in mind about these figures. I hope, at some time, I will find the time to do some research into this one aspect, which has always puzzled me.IMO one doesn't associate these figures with a church. Someone somewhere should know- I hope so.

Anyway great pics of the inside of the church and the figures.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Dave, Brian and Nathaiel thanks for looking and teh comments, I agree the interior is my favourite but did take 2 of us to get it

Comment

Working...
              X