Alston - Garrigil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alston - Garrigil

Led a 9+ mile circular ramble from Alston. Had 16 followers! After a short shower at the start it stayed dry ... albeit very windy again (again Force 7 gale).

1. Start at Alston (as the midday steam train arrived). Slightly cropped.

2. View from Low Sillyhall. I intended this as a lesson in not how to take a panorama (i.e. hand held in a force 7 with detail in the foreground). I've done this before and got (bad) parallax errors. Anyway didn't work out quite like that ... there is a error in the far hills (easily corrected if I wanted to)

3. The junk you find in the country ("one mans junk is another mans project" ... old Chinese Saying)

4. The Falls at Low Houses Bridge (near Garrigill). Should I crop this? (To the left was a building of no particular interest).

5. Least worst bridge I could safely get a photo of

6. Finally another panorama (River is South Tyne, as in the above)

As usual armoured 40D plus 17-40L.

Feel free to point out technical blunders. I am not artistic at all, so these are an as-is record of the day - honest!

Re: Alston - Garrigil

As a fan of posting as-is photos I think these are great! As a matter of fact I would like to learn from you by asking how you got these beautiful images. Is your contrast & sharpness relatively high (adjusted in custom picture style)? I think #3 is my favorate.
    Do feel free to comment on any of my contributions.
    EOS-500D. Flickr: _rutger_

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

The 40D (and my 7D) are set to use RAW and Picture Style is neutral (I don't use picture styles). I do, as part of mild post processing, adjust the levels slightly (or not at all) and always apply sharpening (enough for web distribution) ... for upload to Flickr (which is where the above are located). Also I think these rambling pictures show what a great camera the 40D still is and what a first rate lens the 17-40L is. (Canon Protector and Lenshood always used).

There's no 'real care' taken in the actual picture taking ... my primary responsibility is the safety of those I'm leading (and Me) and not going to places that are too dangerous. Getting really lost is actually quite hard (although you may be temporarily away from where you think you are!). Photography takes second place to safety.

Comment

Still favour the old farm yard.. it does have a feel to it.
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
        X