In the footsteps of Macro Meister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the footsteps of Macro Meister

I though I would give this a go this afternoon as it was raining out. Used almost the same set up with flash and studio light but without the vineger - it smelt too much. Not as good as the master but a start

Stan

7D and Canon EF-100 f2.8L IS, amaual, f 9, 1/160, ISO 100

Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: In the footsteps of Macro Meister

Rain Stan! what rain? Its been like Barbados here....in the rain lol
    Great effort Stan, liking it but looks a tad flat to me, just lacks sparkle if you know what I mean. Hats off to you for giving it a go.

Comment

Well that's not bad at all Stan. Do you use glycerine? Food dyes?

I thought it was another image from The Hubble

Comment

on giving it a try Stan. Not bad for your 1st attempt.

Tom

Comment

Stan I did an auto-adjust colours on infraview and the colours really come out. I keep wondering whether I could control the bubbles on these scenes but I suppose that would take half the fun out of it. - do you want me to post the infraview version?
          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
          Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
            Not as good as the master but a start

Stan
            My wife says I'm a useless dabbler in lots of things, but never a master at anything! But what does she know.

This is a very good start, Stan. It's quite difficult to set these shots up, and it does take a lot of persistence. You need to shoot in RAW, as you need to boost the colours, clarity, and perhaps the WB. I put yours through the RAW editor in CS6 and it comes out like this...

If you go further, and produce some distortion effects, it can give it more impact. I use Ripples Magic from Redfield. http://www.redfieldplugins.com/filterRipplesMagic.htm It's only about £12, but it only runs in 32bit mode of Photoshop - so you need to load your 32 bit version, which isn't a problem.

Using that plugin, I got this... Hope you don't mind me posting these - I'm just showing what you could do.

I normally find this type of shot works best when you get a lucky break and the image looks like something from real life - it makes that 'connection' with the viewer. This one is called 'Spaceman frozen in coloured ice'. It's food dye in water, and I didn't use a plugion for this one - it came out of the camera like this.

I think oil and vinegar will work better for you as they react against each other better than oil and water. You get a better class of bubble

Try some more - you will soon get there.

spaceman frozen in coloured ice by rob ashcroft @ www.macromeister.co.uk, on Flickr
            Last edited by Macro Meister; 26-09-2012, 19:42.

Comment

Thanks all for looking
              do you want me to post the infraview version?
              dont ask - just do it Di
              You are right it is a bit flat. This was shot in RAW, as all my images are, but I usually convert to DNG as CS3 wont read 7D RAW files but with this session, having just updated Digital Photo Professional, I decided to use that with the original RAW and then import into Photoshop - obviously a big mistake, I never could get on with DPP, it really does not have the flexibility of Adobe Camera Raw so i wont be using it again and wili have another go at processing later

The plug in looks good - not too sure how i can tell if i am running 32 or 64 bit though - any ideas

Stan

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                The plug in looks good - not too sure how i can tell if i am running 32 or 64 bit though - any ideas

Stan
                64bit came in with CS4, so you are OK. The plugin will work with your 32bit system. From CS4 onwards you get two versions in one - 32 and 64 bit, and you can start either one as required. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_P...ersion_history

Comment

64bit came in with CS4, so you are OK. The plugin will work with your 32bit system.
                  thanks

Stan

flickr

Comment

Here you go Stan. I hit auto-adjust in infraview. There are other options, for upping the contrast and saturations, but I left them alone.

I've reduced it by half size so I can post as an attachment.
                    Attached Files
                    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                    Di's Flickr

Comment

That works as well Di

Stan

flickr

Comment

I just love the effects & colours of these...

I remember seeing some pictures taken a few years ago that I *think* showed things/objects being dropped in milk or something?

Can't remember where...can't remember when but am fairly sure it really happened!

Does anyone have any idea of what I am talking about as I am starting to doubt my own recollection/sanity now! )

Thanks & kind regards,
                        -=Glyn=-

Comment

Originally posted by GlynH View Post
                          I just love the effects & colours of these...

I remember seeing some pictures taken a few years ago that I *think* showed things/objects being dropped in milk or something?

Can't remember where...can't remember when but am fairly sure it really happened!

Does anyone have any idea of what I am talking about as I am starting to doubt my own recollection/sanity now! )

Thanks & kind regards,
                          -=Glyn=-
                          Heinz Maier - incredible shots!!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/cymaii/

Comment

They're the ones!

Amazing...absolutely amazing.

Thanks for the link...reassuring to know I wasn't dreaming although where on earth I got the idea that milk was being used God only knows!

Wonder what it would look like with beer?

Thanks & kind regards,
                            -=Glyn=-
                            Last edited by GlynH; 02-10-2012, 09:44.

Comment

Gawd...theys be a bit cool.Thats got my mind thinking

Comment

Working...
                              X