Macro moss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macro moss

A couple of attempts to capture the detail of moss!

Eos 7D with Sigma 150 macro lens.

Re: Macro moss

Brava, Diana. I love bryophytes. But I've never done well at photographing them.

-Russell

Comment

Thanks for telling me their proper name - will try to remember it. Mille grazie

Comment

Oh, Diana, that's not exactly their specific name. Bryophytes is the name for the general type of plant life that these plants that you photographed are among. Bryophytes are plants that don't have veins of sorts for circulating water and nutrients through themselves. Because of this non-vascular system, then don't grow big generally, they grow slowly, live an extraordinarily long time, and love cool moist shade. They don't produce flowers or seeds, but reproduce by spores. The group includes moses and liverworts. It might not include lichen, but I'm not sure. Lichens are a strange symbiotic what's it. Bryophytes and lichen, though, are among the most ancient life forms on earth. To me, they're so peaceful and majestic.

Look at the photo below that I took of lichen, the orange smear. It's on the side of the base of an old column in Cannae, now located in the region of Puglia in Italy. Cannae is an ancient city of Rome that was destroyed 216 b.c.e. by the Carthaginians, led by the famous Hannibal. On this column base you can see live lichen and you can see fossilized lichen (the ghostly white images of lichen). Some of those lichen fossils may have been alive 2200 years ago and at the same time the fossils have may have been components of the same orange lichen that's alive in this photo. Meaning, that orange lichen could be the lastest cells of fungus and algae that began when this column was first erected over 2200 years ago.

Anyway, I'm just an amateur, a bryophyte and the like noticer. I have no idea what the name of your moss is or know very little about which I speak. To me, they look like plants or mini trees from a world pixies and fairies. As a kid, when I would spot them, I would fall to the ground and examine them closely, imaging that I could shrink in size and become part of their world. They're so peaceful to watch. I would stare at them, pet their tops lightly, and even doze off looking at them. Yep, a real romantic gober, that was me as a boy.

Comment

Well, thank you so much for the biology lesson! Yes, mosses, lichens etc are fascinating and also very tactile!. There is a study going on in the U.K.about how air quality affects the different types of lichens and their rate of growth.

I have visited Puglia and found it to be very beautiful, interesting and unspoilt by tourism. Like your lichen shot!

Comment

Working...
          X